IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bruno

Safety Check.... or is it sanity...

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,

Been working trying to get my shop back in working order lately.  So, I've been working on an Idle Circuit for my forges, and I've got it laid out pretty good so far.

I have a little forge I built a while ago.  The small one on the left..100_1850.jpg

And it works great for small stuff.     I power it with one of these  bernzomatic torches...

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-BZ8250HT-Trigger-Start-Hose-Torch/dp/B001OLVPOY

So I now have 3 forges sitting on that cart in the picture, and I have an idle circuit that controls them all.  I have plumbing to run my 2 burner chili,  the vertical in the pic,   and the small one with the Bernzo torch via one these things I got locally. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Throwaway-Cylinder-Fitting/dp/B000BQN4IS/ref=pd_ybh_a_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BE5ADE574QPTBMTHNWCN

I hooked it all up today, and leak tested.  I attempted to run the Bernzo Torch through my idle circuit,   and realized that I had to turn the pressure all the way up my propane regulator which only goes to 30 psi.   The torch however produced what can only be called a weenie flame, even at full 30 psi.

So here is the Safety/Sanity check part....       My uneducated/uninformed logical mind says, ok, probably not enough pressure at 30 psi.   I've normally used this torch with a 20# propane tank using one of those coleman throwaway cylinder to propane pol fitting hoses I got a walmart and it works fine.    However I now have the idle Circuit hooked up to my bigger 100# tank.      So my plan is simple,  either get a new 60psi regulator ($$$), or get a 1/4 brass pipe nipple and a 1/4 T fitting ($),  and hook up my throw away cylinder fitting before my regulator.   The torch itself has it's own built in regulator.

So my question is... Am I creating a dangerous pressure situation here?   I don't know what sort of pressure a full 100# propane tank can produce,  me thinks it's more than a 20# ??   Logically thinking anyway,  but like I said, uneducated/uninformed.    I'm trying to avoid seeing something like the throwaway cylinder fitting or the torch regulator/hose or anything like that blowing out the side and spewing propane in my face whilst I'm in front of my forge.   That seems like something best saved for a special occasion rather than Tuesday.   I would think 1/4" brass pipe should be plenty to handle the pressure to the 'T' since the POL fitting going into the regulator is only 1/4".

Another question.   I got my Throwaway fitting locally instead of Amazon, however amazonians have stated that the needle valve in the fitting may be too deep or not seat correctly with some appliances.  Some have drilled it out.     So does 30 psi sound like enough pressure going to this little Bernzo Torch?  Maybe it is the fitting ?  In which case adding the Pipe nipple and the T before the regulator would accomplish nothing more than time and money expenditure. 

I think I'm Thinking about this too hard.   What do ya'll say ?

-B

Edited by Bruno

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

That seems like something best saved for a special occasion rather than Tuesday. 

Sorry, no advice, just a comment....

You might be "uneducated/uninformed" but you have a healthy sense of humor :lol:

I've seen people run 100lb tanks with no regulator, but with a needle valve at the tank valve.  I don't recommend that, though.  As for the small torch, I have no idea what kind of pressure one of those little tanks provide, but I think it is substantially less than 30 psi.  

Oh, and 1/4" copper refrigeration line is fine.

Higher pressures are not going to solve an undersized burner tube issue; most forges run between 5 to 10 psi for atmospheric burners 3/4 inch in diameter. A Bernzomatic is probably not the way to go.

Update for those interested:

I returned the throwaway fitting to the store, and talked to the knowledgeable folk there.  I was informed that  for those particular fittings, if you don't connect them straight to the tank, you wont get enough pressure since pretty much all appliances that use them have built in regulators.    I swapped out the Mr. Heater brand for a generic one that was available.     The Mr. Heater fitting has a built in check valve to stop the propane upon appliance disconnect.  The new fitting that I got has no check valve and is purely open.  Less parts but Twice the price for some reason? :huh:

Anyway, so I hooked up the fitting into my idler circuit,  and low and behold,  a slightly better flame.  Still not the kind of flame I'd expect though.    So as a test I hooked the torch up to a half empty throwaway, and got the huge flame I expected.     So apparently them little tanks put out more than 30 psi.  Probably closer to 80 - 100 psi.   Go figure.        So I pulled the fitting and put it in before my regulator straight at the tank.    Worked beautifully and I still have my face to boot.  B)    I added a shutoff since there is no check valve  in the new fitting.

Here are some pics of the setup:

tank1.jpgtank2.jpg

The Idler Circuit.   Probably a bit excessive.

idle1.jpg

And the forge cart with all my forges ready to go at my whim.      :)

Forge1.jpg

Thanks to those that replied.     I tend to overthink things unless I'm hitting stuff.