Any jerky lovers out there?

Doublin general store. This place is awesome and i belive you can order online also. This is about an hour drive north of me but it is worth the trip for just the jerky. We spend about a hundred bucks every time were there. They have just about everything. But they just recently quit carrying python.  They have beef, buffalo, kangaroo, rabbit, squirrel,  turkey, bacon, elk and all kids of other stuff too.

20180706_191838.jpg

Oh I HAVE GOT TO get in touch with them. My wife and I were talking about jerky the other night. I've made beef, elk and venison for her but I told her that one of the best I'd ever had was antelope. Needless to say......

Me: "No Dear, I am not going through the hoops and expense to hunt an antelope just so I can make jerky for you to try."

Her: " But if you really loved me......"

Me: ( in my mind) "Well, she never understood why I bought this extra long couch. It really comfortable to sleep on in the summer"

44 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Doublin general store. This place is awesome and i belive you can order online also. This is about an hour drive north of me but it is worth the trip for just the jerky. We spend about a hundred bucks every time were there. They have just about everything. But they just recently quit carrying python.  They have beef, buffalo, kangaroo, rabbit, squirrel,  turkey, bacon, elk and all kids of other stuff too.

20180706_191838.jpg

Do they have a website I'm wondering if they ship lol.

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

bacon

Hold on.  There is such a thing as bacon jerky, or do you just mean they have bacon, too?  

I Googled it.  Bacon jerky is a thing.  And I must have some.  

6 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Hold on.  There is such a thing as bacon jerky, or do you just mean they have bacon, too?  

I Googled it.  Bacon jerky is a thing.  And I must have some.  

Yes there is lol.  Any type of meat can be made into jerky. Except for fish.

HAHAHA I found their link

http://www.dublinstore.com/

Edited by AndyB

I've been going there since I was a kid.  It used to be a hardware/grocery store that had a small jerky section.  Now it's more of a jerky store that has some groceries and hardware.  I'm not complaining though, their jerky is just as good now as it was 30 years ago.  They also have opened a few outlet stores in the Grand Rapids area, now I don't have to drive so far to get it!

• Like 1

You can totally make fish jerky. Its the only way i enjoy eating it actually. Fish is practically a vegetable haha!

Sweet mother of jerky :o, i must go to this place. Jerky is probably 30 percent of my diet, so this place looks like heaven. 

Youve done this forum a favor, Jeremy.:D

• Like 1

Smoked salmon is a close cousin of jerky and the Japanese method of salt packing thin portions of a whitefish overnight then putting it on a smoky hibachi is similar.

Smoked sturgeon jerky made by some of the north coast natives and others of California is excellent .........:D

A former employer of mine makes fantastic goatstrami.....

Edited by Clifford Brewer

Looks good. In Southern Africa we eat biltong (spiced and salted air-dried meat) and droëwors (dried sausage). These aren’t smoked. There’s a shop not too far away from me in the U.K. that sells it and lots of people still make their own in a biltong-box.

46D5052B-854A-4A74-85F8-C772D853BCEB.jpeg

I would however suggest having an arrangement to stop any juices dripping on the bulb.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Salmon jerky is real!  It's also really good.  And really odd at first.  

Maybe its just where I grew up in the northwest lol.  I believe that fish is just better smoked.  Unless its just my closed minded approach about it lol.

I have always liked smoked fish more than any other way. Every time i shoot a deer i take all the good cuts like the back straps and keep them for steaks and the rest i smoke into jerky. Never been much of a fan of venison burger. This biltong box looks interesting. Thanks for sharing that im going to try building one sometime. 

This place is awesome. I cant belive the variety of jerky they have. Ive been there  a couple dozen times and im still amazed. I can understand why they dont carry the python any more. It was really dry and gamey but i had to try it once. So far our favorite is venison and my wifes favorite is the rabbit. The kids like to get kangaroo just because its kangaroo. I gotta say though it is excellent.

3 hours ago, AndyB said:

Maybe its just where I grew up in the northwest lol.  I believe that fish is just better smoked.  Unless its just my closed minded approach about it lol.

Oh, I love me some Alder-smoked sockeye!  Imagine taking a good one of those, giving it a thicker brown sugar glaze, then drying it.  Salmon jerky!  Sounds better than fish candy, unless you're Japanese where they actually have fish candy...

Hmmm, not sure if I've had it with alder. I smoke my trout & salmon with Applewood chips. I also pour a 1/2 pint of whiskey in the water pan, along with a good amount of lemon juice.

Jeremy, you have to try the turkey! I go home with at least 1 bag of it every time I go.

Jason, you stole my recipe!  I usually don't go so heavy on the whiskey.  Of course, there's usually more than that missing from the bottle somehow when I'm done :D.

Dang, this thread brings back so many memories of deer camp down the road from the store in Hoxeyville when I was a kid........

Edited by Alex Middleton

We eat a lot of smoked salmon in these parts. Every fall their is a "Gathering" up in Agness (up the Rogue River) of the Confederated Tribes of the Lower Rogue. I've taken part and it is always done close to traditionally. Alder is definitely the wood for smoking the salmon "kited" on forked alder sticks. but planking them on a cedar plank, grooved to catch the grease runoff is also done. The cedar gives a nice different flavor.

I won't use anything but alder, for salmon, in my smoker.

Cherry and/or Apple for pork.

Hickory or any of the others for beef. Never liked mesquite.