Alloy Banding?

Zach Wade

Ok so I have taken this back to 120 grit and sanded it a lot. But the "scratches" that got me to resand it are still there. I started looking into possible causes and found alloy banding, I don't think they are going away.

They are only on the hamon line (habuchi?) Which I thought was weird to start.

Does that look to anyone else like Alloy banding is a possibility? I've seen some others that look a little similar, wanted a second opinion before I gave up on getting rid of them and started moving back up the grit progressions. 

Aldos 1075, stock removal, triple normalized by eye, then one additional "normalization" where the clay broke off in the forge, then quenched in parks with satanite on it.

20180704_211649.jpg

20180704_195226.jpg

20180704_013547.jpg

20180704_211737.jpg

I've not used Aldo's 1075 but  it  is usually quite a basic carbon steel with a minimum of alloying metals.  I would guess that what you are seeing is not alloy banding but some layers of different stages of steel forming along the boundaries of the hamon.  I'm certainly no metallurgist and would  welcome comments from those that are.

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Wondering if you "feathered" your coating. I have often wondered with the bevel and the thickness decreasing towards the edge if just the slightest difference in the intended hamon pattern, with the thickness of clay and variable thickness of steel underneath (thicker towards the spine etc) might not cause a different . The few times I tried I knew about less than zero about what I was doing and even less about judging the results.

Japanese sword people would call that "sudareba" which means something like window blinds; a design feature of certain schools of smiths. I am unable to explain it in technical metallurgical terms though. Something to do with transitional structures due to the quench.