IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JPH

News From Iraq...or never bring a tank to a knife fight

Hello:

Finally something interesting and funny on this end..a while back (several years) a friend of mine's son was joining the US Army so I made him a rr spike knife when he graduated AIT..He carried it for many years and used the beegeezus out of it... No complaints at all...until now

I was just notified that the blade has been pretty much destroyed when so Yahoo tank driver drove his M-1 Abrams over his gear and well..it seems that the knife..in one last act of defiance somehow got up into the tread between tread section and  the blade was pretty much peined over 90 degrees..( it did not break..) causing the tread to jam and pretty much disabling the tank.. The odds of this happening must be astronomical.. a $45.00 knife takes out a 4.3 million dollar piece of equipment..

I am trying to get a copy of the maintenance report ..Believe me I will use it on my website...

Needless to say I sent him another rr spike knife..

Buck has their bolt cutting..Cold Steel has their chop socky/slicey videos..Amateurs!!  How many makers can say that one of their knives can stop a tank..in a combat zone none the less?? NONE!!  And folks say that RR spikes don't make good knives... Well all I can say is -- Take that!!

This news came at just the right time as I needed a major "pick me up" with all that has been going on here.. Thought I would share some good news for a change...

I got a real chuckle out of this and I think ya all will as well...

JP (Tank Bane) H

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

wow! i wonder if the tank has sensors that pick up extra load on the drive wheels and then force a shut down to prevent damage. otherwise we're talking a serious freak of nature that allows, in reality, a very small peice of steel to stop the power of 1500shp! either way, thats something to be proud of!

Posted (edited)

I have no idea..all I know is that the kid (SFC Jas King) said it took them close to 4 hours to get the thing out of the tread..as I understand it  they had to de-link the track and then retrieve the knife...man I would love to get that one back...still never bring a tank to a knife fight.,.. I tell ya...ya simply can't make this stuff up...

Tankbane

I once picked up a hitch-hiker one rainy winter's evening..he said "Thank you...but how do you know I am not a serial killer"?  I replied "The odds that two serial killers are in the same car at the same time are astronomical".. 

Edited by JPH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh, that is too funny.  I'm glad something came along at this time to make you smile.

Posted (edited)

I wonder if they will be teaching that tank stopping technique at West Point.

I have hear a lot of stories and tales of darringdo with knives but that would just stop all "and there I was" stories. See if you can at least get a picture. Id love a copy. It has finally settled the "bend or break?" question.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

Awesome story. :)         Man, I bet you couldve bent the knife back straight and resharpened with no problems .   Next time  i hear bout a runaway tank, i think of my knives, lol...

Posted (edited)

That story is freakin brilliant Jim. You have got to get a picture of that.

Although, I think the DOD and HLS will balk at you posting a "How to" on disabling the Abrams on your website, just a guess though.:blink:

Edited by Joshua States

9 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Although, I think the DOD and HLS will balk at you posting a "How to" on disabling the Abrams on your website, just a guess though.:blink:

I don't know, In the grand scheme of things,I almost think that they would encourage terrorists to attack a tank with nothing but a knife. :P

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then....i predict more requests for RR spike knives in the future. Beware of those from foreign addresses....