Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

Cracked Buffalo horn repair (it's bad).

Hey guys, I was wondering if this is beyond repair? It didn't have any cracks when I last saw it, but I just unsheathed it and the panic button was nearly pushed. 

How would you repair it? Make a new handle?

20180710_075739.jpg

First what kind of horn is it??? I know you said Buffalo but there are several kinds of Buffalo!

Was it stabilized before use??

Is it in a stress??

Did it get extremely hot while grinding to shape??

Suggestion you can seal the cracks with Cyanocrylate but it is not going to make the cracks disappear!  If that is what you want to achieve is to make the crack disappear, then you are most likely looking at a new handle!!      

What is a "stress"  it wasn't stabilized. I think It's water buffalo. I didnt get it too hot. I did leave it in my truck though. 

34 minutes ago, C Craft said:

If that is what you want to achieve is to make the crack disappear, then you are most likely looking at a new handle!!      

I figured as much... That will be my last time using that stuff. 

Thanks man!

By stressed I meant is it an extremely tight fit to the knife! Although I would expect the cracks in a different direction if that was the case! 

You said, 

2 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

I didnt get it too hot. I did leave it in my truck though.

So then I have to look at where you are from. Temps here in NW Florida have been bumping the 100* mark factor in the humidity and your looking at temps that could be upwards of a 110*

You put that in a closed up vehicle you could be looking at a 150*. My wife smokes and recently left her lighter on my dash while we went into an appointment. We were out of the truck for maybe 45 minutes. When I opened her door for her I see small red pieces. My first thought was it looked like blooms off of a tree. Then I realized the window was up and...………. her lighter had exploded into a million tiny pieces!! 

Was the Buffalo stabilized?? Here in the south I fear the temp and humidity differences in any piece I make!! I have seen it effect all sorts of materials. I have a feeling that the stent in the truck may have caused your problem!!!

• Thanks 1

I would try the CA glue thing before I went the new handle route.  After all, what's the worst thing that could happen.  If it works, great.  If it kinda works, then you learned something.  If it doesn't work at all, or you hate it, then you're no worse off than you started, but you still learned something.

Geoff

• Thanks 1

CA glue-the runniest stuff you can get- and before it's actually dried rub the surface with some medium steel wool or sandpaper.

• Thanks 1

You could use a thin epoxy layer tinted to match the color of the horn...It make take a couple of test swatches to get the color match correct

The tinted epoxy should blend every thing together and help seal the horn material.

The most likely culprit is that the horn material is porous overtime it simply dried at different speeds across the cross section

• Thanks 1

It was the truck, the horn has dried and split along the layers, and ultra-thin CA glue is your only hope.  Like Al said, hit it with fine sandpaper.  I'd actually sand it first to fill the cracks with dust, glue the snot out of it, and sand again before it cures completely.  

When I use horn I rough-shape it, then flood it with the thin CA to stabilize it.  I've had no trouble with since I started doing that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd actually sand it first to fill the cracks with dust, glue the snot out of it, and sand again before it cures completely.  

This is what I would do as well.  It will be a repair, and not likely to be invisible, but it is worth a shot.  If you don't like the results, you'll have to make a new handle.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Yeah, temps have been in the mid 90s here, so a week in the truck is what did it. 

This handle is peened and epoxied with Gflex, some of the toughest stuff on the planet. I definitely don't want to try to take it apart. This is a give away knife that I've already spent a ton of time and money on too. I'll give the CA glue a try.

Thanks for the tips! You guys rock! 

If you epoxied with Gflex you ain't gonna "take it apart" you might beat it off of the knife with a hammer and grinder but you ain't gonna "take it apart"! If you do as others have spoke of with the CA and backfill the cracks with dust from sanding buffalo. It will definitely make it harder to see, and it will look more natural if it shows!! 

34 minutes ago, C Craft said:

If you epoxied with Gflex you ain't gonna "take it apart" you might beat it off of the knife with a hammer and grinder but you ain't gonna "take it apart"! If you do as others have spoke of with the CA and backfill the cracks with dust from sanding buffalo. It will definitely make it harder to see, and it will look more natural if it shows!! 

I know lol! I've been there once before. 

I just did the glue trick. Worked good as far as I can tell.