Jeremy Blohm

Eitr seax of King Eric Bloodaxe.

Looks like it's settled @Charles du Preez , looks like we've got a deadline of August 12th. I guess a post should be made somewhere else for anyone else.

This is still a really cool concept Jeremy. If you don't finish, you ought to move this to show and tell.

Thanks Zeb. I had to work the weekend just passed so didn’t get to do anything but I’m hoping to tomorrow.

Looks like this will be my last project for quite some time. I just talked with a neurosurgeon and I will be having a spinal fusion in the next month or so. He told me to stop all activities immediately but i have a few things i need to do and my power hammer and this are at the top of the list. Hopefully i can get it done in the comming days.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Damn. Wishing you good luck Jeremy. What a pain in the... back, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Charles i appreciate it. This really sucks. I have so much i want to do and now this just puts me even further behind than i already am. I have everything i need to build a press and now that is going to be put on the back burner. But i will have 6 months of recovery to save money for the real power hammer i want to buy. That is about the only thing i can think of that puts me in a little better mood. 

Dang, I hope you have a quick recovery.  

You will have time to do the forging projects you want to get to.  Don't rush it, or push it too hard, or you may damage yourself to the point you can't ever do them.

What Brian said.  If the other KITH participants agree, maybe you could offer deferred delivery to whoever gets yours?  It's not worth permanent damage.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Dont hurt yourself! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'd be down for the "deferred delivery" Alan mentioned if the other guys are. 

Not a problem for me.  Personal experience says that it's always best to follow doctors orders, otherwise you pay for it in the long run.

The power hammer is so close to being done. All i have to do is tap one more hole and weld the dies. Tomorrow i should be able to run it. Once its done im moving it out to the shop and getting to work on this.

If i dont get it done on time i would appreciate you guys hanging in there. It shouldn't take me a whole lot longer to finish.

Not a problem here. When you say ‘“I’m moving it out to the shop” I hope you mean, my neighbor/friend/good samaritan is moving it out to the shop for me.

I have 2 healthy and strong brothers. Plus my brother has a quad to pull it. We have a tree down that needs to be cut up so we will use the poles from it to Egyptian style roll it out back to the shop.;) Tomorrow im going to get charcoal and get to work on this. Im going to soak the billet in white vinegar tonight to hopefully clean any scale out of the inclusion and take a couple good welding heats. We will see what happens. Fingers crossed!!!

I got the inclusion to seal up. There is 2 really dark streaks on one side but and only one small one on  the other side. The only inclusions in it are in the wrought not weld flaws so were looking good. Right now it is 1 inch x 7/8 inch x 5 1/2 inch so there is quite a bit of material. Im going to draw it down some and twist it.

20180810_140510.jpg

20180810_140637.jpg

So I have a little delamiination but the way this material has been welding I think I can weld it back up when I weld everything up. I have a final plan but I will leave that a surprise for now.  

Another thing. After i acid etched this it oxidized really quickly and turned almost a greenish kinda like what copper does.  I am going to acid etch it when I get home and give you guys a glimpse at the pattern and we will see if it will oxidize like it did before.

20180811_185458.jpg

20180811_185507.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

20180811_200301.jpg20180811_200252.jpg20180811_200344.jpg20180811_200328.jpg20180811_200308.jpg20180811_200325.jpg20180811_200753.jpg20180811_200758.jpg

The last 2 pictures were only 5 minutes after neutralizing.

I still don't have it bolted down but here is the video of trying to seal up the weld flaw. I have a few more videos to add.

Please bolt it down Jeremy. It also looks like there is some twisting going on after it stops. Were you planning on adding extra frame supports?

Oh yeah I'm going to brace the crap out of it. I'm also going to build guards and sides for it. Another thing it needs is a roller system where the hammer connects to the spring because when I adjust it for thick material the hammer binds in the guide.

So I got everything drawn out to where it needs to be.

Starting at the left is the edge steel 1060 then wrought iron with some carbon content, then the twisted wrought-mascus bar will be next and then a really low carbon wrought for the spine. So everything will be wrought iron except for the edge will be steel.

Resized_20180813_140506.jpg

I have to draw out the 1060 a little more but I burned up the motor on the hammer. I have a replacement motor that I'm putting on in the morning.

This is going to be shweet Jeremy 

• Like 1

Here is everything. All I have to do is clean up and square up the mating surfaces. It should end up with a progressively less carbon as it goes into the spine. I might draw out another bar of 1060 to try and get rid of the fish lips on the sides. It's crazy how things can get away from you when the power hammer is squashing steel.

Resized_20180814_115518.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I drew out another bar of 1060. Everything is welded on the ends and ready to be forge welded. I have pictures but my wife's phone will not upload them. I will borrow my brothers phone and upload them from that.

Here is all the bars ready for welding.

0_20180816_162757.jpg

Drawing out some copper for the handle. My daughter wouldn't get that close when it's hot so I did some cold. Tomorrow I'm getting more charcoal and I'm welding and drawing out the blade. More pictures and video to come.

I got the blade welded but I had a delamination but it was back at the tang area and it should be ok. I picked up some flap disks for the grinder and I'm going to do a light grind and etch it to make sure there is no problems. I have a picture but my wife's phone is retarded. I will get it uploaded soon.