Jeremy Blohm

Eitr seax of King Eric Bloodaxe.

Resized_20180820_162957.jpeg

Is that a Seax or axe? :D

Yeah, it's pretty big. I would just draw it out longer and make that point longer too. If you can. 

It's about a half inch wide also. I had a delamination at the tip so I cut it out before it could progress any more. I had to stop for the day but it looks like everything is solid. It wouldn't be a problem to draw it out more. I'm getting propane in the morning g so I can work the whole blade hot. I think that's how the tip started delaminating. It was a little to cold when I was drawing out the back of the blade. And I flipped it on its side and hit the tip a little cold.

This will be my first seax....so naturally I have a couple questions. First the grind...full flat no plunge line? Second...distal taper? Third...slight reverse taper with a slight belly under the break of the spine?

Read through this. I'll give you what little knowledge bequithed to me that I could access if you want more. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

And remember it's a reverse taper. It gets thickest at the peak of the spine, then tapers to the point. 

3 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

And remember it's a reverse taper. It gets thickest at the peak of the spine, then tapers to the point. 

Thanks zeb!!!

Here is A sneak peak at the pattern

20180821_101125.jpg

20180821_101135.jpg

20180821_101220.jpg

19 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Resized_20180820_162957.jpeg That.. is one giant knife..

• Like 1

Resized_20180821_133821.jpg

Resized_20180821_144329.jpg

Resized_20180821_144323.jpg

Resized_20180821_144314.jpg

Wicked!  But full flat grind if you want to be accurate.  As a magical/fantasy blade though, that rocks!

Thanks Alan!!!

Got the call today with a surgery date... September 10. Its sooner than I thought it would be.

In going to have to look that one up.

The one image I seen looks really nice. And very similar. I'm going to search a little deeper.

I'm tempted to move this to show and tell as a WIP now that it's a blade and not a failed attempt. 

I got the fittings for the handle roughed out and dropped the tip a little to make it look more seaxy.20180824_143205.thumb.jpg.3413f1a9a5fa926b95b87b2ee65c54db.jpg

I will get a picture of all the handle components in a little while when o get back to the shop.

The blade is hardened and I just put it through its first tempering cycle. I will temper again in the morning and it's back to the shop to do the final grind and start assembling the handle.

Cool. Can’t wait to see her finished.

• Like 1

I'm almost finished with the grind. And then it's on to the handle. I will have the grind done tonight. I had to take a break for the day. It doesn't help in need a bigger drive wheel to get the grinder going faster. Looks like I'm heading to OBM's Ebay store.

Time for hand sanding.

We finally have power back at the shop. I had brought my 2x72 home to do all the grinding. There is a big rust spot on my back patio. I wonder if the appartment manager will get after me for it. :lol: 

Hand sanding is done. I am going to acid etch it today and I'm going to start getting the handle components drilled tonight. I have all day tomorrow to assemble the handle and do some finish work.

Dry fit

Resized_20180903_142003.jpg

In know historically a seax rarely had metal fittings but I chose to use a piece of wrought on the end and I'm going to peen the tang so I have a mechanical hold. This is the second through tang I have done so I don't want to take any chances. 

Almost done!!! Just some finish work to do.  I didn't realize how long the handles were historically until after I had everything assembled but I think it looks OK. 

IMG_20180906_143612.jpg