Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

What do you present/deliver your knives in?

What do you guys actually present a knife to the owner in?

I have yet to find a solution I like for actually delivering a knife.  I once made a fitted wooden case with quarter matched burl veneer and a flocked interior with various compartments, but that took as long to make as the knife, and isn't a sustainable option.

I'd love to find a source of boxes, but even the so called "Cutlery boxes" are never very well sized.  A lot of my knives lately have been chef's knives with 2" wide blades and 13" OAL, but I have never found a box that was a good match.  Lately I have been wrapping them in a tea-towel with a ribbon round them, but that isn't a great solution.

Hunter/skinners and the like that have sheaths I just hand over sheathed, but that also seems a bit unceremonious given the effort that goes into making the knife.

I'd love to hear how others are dealing with this issue.

One of the more expensive production knives I ever bought was a TOPS Silent Hero........not great paying that much and receiving it in a plastic bag. <_<

.....but now I understand their dilemma! 

I've used everything from a custom cardboard box (thanks to my retired dad) to wrapped in cheese cloth, I would love some ideas as well.

Thanks Tom.  I've seen those, but they are a little to "Arts and crafts" for my taste.  Maybe I'm being too picky.

I've done a few bandsaw boxes over the years for other reasons.  (I grew up in a woodworking shop)  I should revisit that concept to see if I could so something I like.

For most of what I make, a wood box is a bit of a waste because the knife will just end up in a kitchen knife block.  However, I'd like the unboxing experience to be a bit better than a knife wrapped up in tape and bubble wrap.

I've always thought it to be pretty cool when makers of kitchen knives provide a custom block for it.  There have been a few people that have done this on the forum.  Not super quick and easy, but I would definitely think it would be appreciated and would definitely sell the knife with the cost of the block factored in.  Otherwise, I'd say Tom's presentation box link is pretty good and not too "Arts and Crafts" at all.  It is a delivery box for an item to be used, not display case for a visual only piece of art.  

23 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Otherwise, I'd say Tom's presentation box link is pretty good and not too "Arts and Crafts" at all.  It is a delivery box for an item to be used, not display case for a visual only piece of art.  

Yeah, I'm off base with that comment. 

The design is perfectly sound.  I guess I am a bit jaded because I have seen so many people cobble things like that together from construction lumber, slap some walnut stain on it and sell them at flea markets.  However, properly executed those could look pretty nice.

We all have those moments and gut/knee-jerk reactions.  Make a really nice one, post a WIP here (well, in the Sheaths and Leatherwork or Fit and Finish sub forum) and show us how a NICE one is done!  B)

14 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

We all have those moments and gut/knee-jerk reactions.  Make a really nice one, post a WIP here (well, in the Sheaths and Leatherwork or Fit and Finish sub forum) and show us how a NICE one is done!  B)

I think I am going to do just that this weekend.

I also just realized that that is Tom's site, so I'll offer an apology to him once I get my foot out of my mouth :unsure:

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 1

Grace Horne makes excellent presentation boxes. She demonstrated these at the Bushfire Forge forge-in. @owen bush is Grace a member here or do you have any photos please?

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I think I am going to do just that this weekend.

I also just realized that that is Tom's site, so I'll offer an apology to him once I get my foot out of my mouth :unsure:

Brian, you crack me up dude. I'm sure Tom appreciates the reconciliation. 

I do not make presentation or display boxes for my knives unless someone requests it. (and then I charge them for it) The only exception is for the kitchen knives and I make either a cutting board or a small flat block for countertop display/storage. I have a lot of wood working equipment though, so these are pretty easy and fast to put together.

Cutting boards (1).JPG

Cutting boards (2).JPG

If I had to make a presentation box like that the material costs would be more than the knife, not to mention I don't have the skill or machines to do any real wood work.

I very recently made a case for my sister's knife from a split  piece of bamboo with leather hinges and latches, lined with felt.

Came out great, and I wasn't even halfway done when I felt the same I feel every time I make a sheath...........This is not a knife, I like making knives..... 

i guess it all depends on what end of the scale you want to hit, and where and when you want the customer to go "ooh" and "aahhh". what i mean is, do you want the customer to be blown away at the start by an impressive box, followed by your knife? or do you want the eureka moment to be as they see the knife itself for the first time. 

as a small example, and a bit off the knife topic, but in the same thinking; i built 2 land cruisers. the first, the body was solid yet nothing special, but i took great pride in the interior and engine bay, so that many people when they first saw the cruiser went "nice cruiser" but when i popped the hood or opened the door, they had to do a double take. my next cruiser, i went well above what i had done previously in everything, the body, the engine and interior, so that as i drove down the road people looked. every where i parked someone would make a comment. but when i popped the hood, i didnt get that same double take, even though it was in my opinion, a cut above even the other cruiser. it was like they expected it. 

getting back onto knives. if you have a well built box that is simple and yet, houses a beautiful knife, you can imagine the reaction of the customer. on the other hand, an ornate presentation box with all the trimmings, will demand a knife of the highest quality. it becomes an unconscious expectation of the person opening it up. 

so, what knife are you wanting to put in the box? like everything im learning about knives, design seems to(or should) follow function. so whats your function for the knife/box? that will answer (or might help) the question of what should this knife be delivered in. 

just my $0.02 coming from a different perspective 

Edited by Ross Vosloo
  • Like 1

I keeping with your first Land Cruiser I'd like simple cardboard boxes.

Thanks for all the comments :)  

So this is really drifting off of waht I was trying to answer - What I would really like is to find a source of nice simple cardboard boxes that would hold knives well.  You can get some that are designed for cutlery, but I rarely find one that is a great fit, and I have never found one long enough to hold a chef's knife.

What I was trying to get at before I shoved my foot in my mouth about Tom's display box design, was what do you all deliver/ship your knives in?  Is everyone really just wrapping them up in plastic wrap, and shipping them that way?

I do not intend to create a display box for every knife, but would like to be able to hand or ship people a knife in a simple box that at least looks like a knife belongs in it.  (Although the Laphroiag boxes kind of work :) )

8 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Thanks for all the comments :)  

So this is really drifting off of waht I was trying to answer - What I would really like is to find a source of nice simple cardboard boxes that would hold knives well.  You can get some that are designed for cutlery, but I rarely find one that is a great fit, and I have never found one long enough to hold a chef's knife.

What I was trying to get at before I shoved my foot in my mouth about Tom's display box design, was what do you all deliver/ship your knives in?  Is everyone really just wrapping them up in plastic wrap, and shipping them that way?

I do not intend to create a display box for every knife, but would like to be able to hand or ship people a knife in a simple box that at least looks like a knife belongs in it.  (Although the Laphroiag boxes kind of work :) )

Well, why didn't you just say so?!?! :D

Bubble wrap is your friend. I wrap the knife separately from the sheath and both are encapsulated in bubble wrap with my business card and a copy of the care and use instructions.

Then everything goes inside a USPS flat rate box and goes out priority mail. Long blades that do not fit in a box will usually fit inside a shipping tube.