Seriously cool power hammer design

https://www.kensiron.com/powerhammers

I don't know this guy, but saw an ad for his hammers in a guild newsletter.  I highly recommend watching his videos, the hammer uses a unique linkage based on a steam hammer that allows you to go from single hits to full auto with incredible control.  Can you crack an egg without splattering it with your hammer?  This guy can...

• Thanks 1

I'd love to have a hammer that would do single strikes, though I suppose the press could do some of that.

Just before he died I had a conversation with Grant Sarver about using a VFD to control a power hammer, all the way from single strikes to rpm control.  We never had an opportunity to work out any details.

I love the idea of the adapted steam hammer linkage.

Geoff

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

https://www.kensiron.com/powerhammers

I don't know this guy, but saw an ad for his hammers in a guild newsletter.  I highly recommend watching his videos, the hammer uses a unique linkage based on a steam hammer that allows you to go from single hits to full auto with incredible control.  Can you crack an egg without splattering it with your hammer?  This guy can...

That MZ75 the one they've got on there first is actually quite interesting looking.  I'm no where near ready for a power hammer as of yet.  But it does look quite interesting good read thanks.

I've watched a lot of Ken's vids,  some informative stuff there and that single

strike and hold feature is the katz azz.........:D

Edited by Clifford Brewer
5 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I'd love to have a hammer that would do single strikes, though I suppose the press could do some of that.

Just before he died I had a conversation with Grant Sarver about using a VFD to control a power hammer, all the way from single strikes to rpm control.  We never had an opportunity to work out any details.

I love the idea of the adapted steam hammer linkage.

Geoff

Geoff; Didn't Grant have a steam hammer to air conversion in his shop before he passed ??

I thought I saw a video on it a year or three or four ago.................

Edited by Clifford Brewer

The Phoenix hammers that Trozak sold can do single strikes and clamp; my mentor has one. Ken Zitur had several he brought to ABANA recently to let people use; i had asked if anyone had a chance to use one, but never heard back. I did hear feedback that the machines were noisy and didn't hit hard, but looking for other opinions from someone who has actually used them. The controls look interesting; i hear Zitur sells them to retrofit other air hammers, at a cost of about $1000. The welds on the frame look like rooster poop, though.

Edited by SteveShimanek

Everyone I know who has one loves it.  Honestly i don't know how you can say a non-self-contained air hammer is noisy... a compressor might be noisy, but the air hammer itself just has a little exhaust noise which is just a slight hiss and barely makes any noise at all.