Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Grinding Clipped Point Bevels

I'm not sure this will work. I've lost power at the house and only have my phone on mobile data.......

There was a question about how to grind the bevels in a clipped point on a Bowie knife on another forum especially a curved clip and I put together a short video of how I do this. 

The video is about 18 minutes long, but the grinding is less than 10 minutes. In a short time, I take the bevels from zero to 220 grit.

• Thanks 4

Joshua, real nice! Thanks for sharing!!!

On 7/26/2018 at 7:27 PM, C Craft said:

Joshua, real nice! Thanks for sharing!!!

Any time! I'm glad you liked it.

Thank you Josh, that beats the crap out of free handing it.

When,  (or if) I ever get ahead of the chore curve in the yard and the grocery garden

I'm gonna get back to my little machine/blacksmith shop to make a 2x72 and those cool platens

to make life easier, the file jig I made is nice but that is nicer......................B)

Thanks Josh. Very informative and well presented. Now, if I can just figure out how to get clean bevels on to the cutting edge and also not wipe the transition out when going to higher grits, I’ll be laughing :).

4 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Thanks Josh. Very informative and well presented. Now, if I can just figure out how to get clean bevels on to the cutting edge and also not wipe the transition out when going to higher grits, I’ll be laughing :).

Do you own a 9 inch disc grinder?

Thanks for posting that Josh.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:28 AM, Joshua States said:

Do you own a 9 inch disc grinder?

Not yet but apparently that is now on the cards :)

4 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Thanks for posting that Josh.

Not yet but apparently that is now on the cards :)

Also, a minor point I failed to mention in the video.

If you go back and finish the bevels after the clip is ground in, and the clip bevels are reduced more than your liking, you can enlarge the clip bevels by repeating the process.

It had been a while since I had been to your channel Joshua. (I am a subscriber though :) )  You really have some good quality and informative videos out there.  Thanks for doing them!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting those Joshua.  A large disc grinder is now on my list of things to buy.  That beats the hell out of smoothing out the highs and lows of bevel grinding by hand with a hard backed sandpaper!