Clifford Brewer

Thought fer the day, / add yours if you like

On 12/1/2018 at 5:48 PM, Will W. said:

Judge a mans character by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. 

I judge a person by how they treat the wait staff in a restaurant.

"Life's like a box of choc-lates. You never know what you're gonna get."

~Forest Gump 

"Life is a garden; dig it."

~ unknown 

It's not a job it's and adventure

(usually followed shortly thereafter by a deployment into some god forsaken hell hole)

Early to bed Early to Rise

A man of few words holds many secrets.

I wish somebody would call me ‘sir’ without adding ‘can you please stop doing that, sir’

I have CDO. It’s like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order (like they should be).

• Haha 2

It's not what you gather; its what you scatter. But, dont throw your life to the wind. Dont build monuments to the man you want to be. Dont lose track of who you are along the way. 

Sorry if this looks like a Dio song lol. 

Posted (edited)

Life is all about ASS, you are always 

Covering it

Laughing it off

Kicking it

Kissing it

Busting it

Trying to get a piece of it

Or, just plain acting like it   !!!!!! ......................................;)

Edited by Clifford Brewer
  • Haha 1

"He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

• Like 6

Well put Gary..................-_-

• Thanks 1

“If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.”

- Rita Mae Brown

• Like 3

I realize I'm kind of a "far out dude"... 

I was thinking earlier about knives. I've been tinkering around with carving and inlay, designs, fit, finishes, and overall form. 

I used to think what made a great looking knife was utilizing textures and stylized lines, figured woods, and metalurcical special effects in the steel. Sort of letting the material tell it's own tale while keeping the lines clean and flowing. I think that's what I thought anyway. 

Now I'm not so sure... clean and crisp lines show craftsmanship, but lack of a story. Like freckles, grey hairs, or laugh lines; a stray chisel mark, etch flaw, or just minor asymmetry might add character to an otherwise mastered, or seemingly captive, terribly modern, and finely machined piece. 

I work on construction jobs from time to time and notice little things. A short piece of trim spliced where it should have been one piece, but they ran out of material, or how they had to get creative with a fix for a situation. When you look at old work, there is a lot of this evident. It reminds you that this object was handmade, and all its slight flaws amongst the beautiful bigger picture somehow speak volumes about the piece. 

Just a thought.

• Like 2

That's not far out, that's just the mark of an appreciation for the human side of the story.  When I  started making folders a couple months ago (only 1.5 so far, btw...) my wife was completely behind the idea until I showed her the finished first one.  It has plenty of minor imperfections if you know where to look, but for the nearsighted or unknowing it looks pretty darned good.  Now when I show it to people she says "It's too perfect!  It looks like it was made in a factory, not like your handmade stuff."  I told her that was the idea, since the pocketknife market seems to prefer that aesthetic.  It does go against everything I've ever done.  I appreciate minor toolmarks.  Let me hasten to say I mean MINOR, not stray 36-grit scratches.  A patch of drawfiled surface half-polished out in a hard-to-reach place is fine, though.  Too many new folks latch on to that sentiment without having developed the skills to do better, which is how we end up with the beaver-gnawed 2x4 handle on a newbie-ground crowbar look.  That's not where it's at.  Slight flaws remaining with excellent craftsmanship and an eye for detail, that's it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It's my understanding that artists in some cultures (Persian and Amish, for example) deliberately incorporate minor imperfections in their works because of the belief that only God (or Allah, as the case may be) can create something perfect.  

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1

I would be curious to hear their definition of "perfect". If they feel the need to purposely mark up their work; I'll bet its different from mine. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:25 AM, Zeb Camper said:

Just a thought.

I hate to be the one to bring up Cindy Crawford's mole.....But I just did :D

Another forum, completely different topic (fly fishing), there was a discussion about the Engineer vs Poet.

We all have that fight inside us I believe, and the best of us have those two in balance working side by side.

• Like 1

Religion is like a penis : perfectly fine to have and take pride in It's when you start waving it in my face  we have a problem...

• Like 2