Clifford Brewer

Thought fer the day, / add yours if you like

On 10/11/2019 at 10:59 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Read this online the other day. 

Someone holds a bee. What do they have in their eye? 

The answer: beauty; in the eye of the bee-holder. 

Jim Carry (however you spell that) has some interesting perceptions. Claims "there is no jim carry" in an article I just read. That he's always just played a role, and jim carry was just cobbled together ideas. He goes on to that there is no "he" and that we all play roles but nothing is really real. He says that he accomplished all he ever wanted and more and still wound up unhappy. He then tries to explain you have to understand suffering to gain compassion and then you're free..... 

Not sure I follow. By that logic, his being "set free" might just be another quest; the next idea; another role he might play. You cant take out the human element and try to be some great transcendent intellectual being. Jim carry is uniquely jim, even if he was playing out roles. 

We are as organic as dirt, each unique from the other. If you rewound time and switched someone at birth they would not fill the same role as the other child in the prior timeline. 

Ugh, Hollywood types...

Happiness is more of a decision than a destination.  We all have different chemistry, and I do believe that some people simply can't make that choice because of their own personal makeup.  However, I also believe that most people's inability to choose happiness is that they are too greedy to be satisfied with what they have.

I am as guilty of this as anybody, but have had some serious wake-up calls.  When I meet people who are genuinely happy but also have much less to look forward to than I do, I have to remind myself that I have no business complaining about anything.

• Like 2

I'll buy that. 

Some people stay happy just naturally. Others have a hard time. I know a guy that's that way. 

Money has never motivated me much, but I have looked to goals a lot.

I sometimes wonder if I look to goals to better myself, or if it is in the pursuit of happiness, or to prove self worth, or purpose, or just to keep occupied. Maybe it's all, or maybe none. 

I've found it best to try and let whatever thoughts come and go. Not to dwell on anything in particular. Not to fixate on the bad, but just let it go.

14 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I sometimes wonder if I look to goals to better myself, or if it is in the pursuit of happiness, or to prove self worth, or purpose, or just to keep occupied. Maybe it's all, or maybe none. 

Management theory classes teach that most people who no longer need to worry about ensuring they have basic needs for survival tend to be motivated by having a purpose, or contributing to something that they feel is important. 

I tend to be a bit more selfish than that.  I am most content in my personal life when I am pushing my motley collection of skills to a new level.  That may be because my real job has me making somewhat heroic efforts to solve other people's problems in short timelines.  When I go home, it is "My" time.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Be good, and you will be lonesome.

Be lonesome and you will be free.

Live a lie, and you will live to regret it.

That's what living is to me.

-Mark Twain & Jimmy Buffett

On 10/17/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zeb Camper said:

If the wondering is fun, then I'd say, yes;).  Maybe it's just who your are and what you do. 

And shouldn't that be enough?

Edited by billyO
speling
  • Like 1

I post this one every few months, It deserves to be said again because it explains the life of a maker. (At least for me) 

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm” -Winston Churchill.

• Like 1

If you continue to pay $3 for a bottle of Smart Water, it's not working...

Edited by Ron Benson
  • Haha 5

My son and i went to iron mountain, michigan last weekend,  and climbed the gigantic ski hill they have there. 500 concrete steps with a plaque on each one. One step said "there is no elevator to success, you have to take the steps".

Tom

• Like 1

Education teaches you the rules, experience teaches you the exceptions. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 4:50 AM, Brian Dougherty said:

Management theory classes teach that most people who no longer need to worry about ensuring they have basic needs for survival tend to be motivated by having a purpose, or contributing to something that they feel is important

History classes tell you that's because people who don't need to worry about their basic needs generally have a lot of time on their hands with nothing to do. That's what caused the industrial revolution and virtually every other major advancement in human history.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zeb Camper said:

I've found it best to try and let whatever thoughts come and go. Not to dwell on anything in particular. Not to fixate on the bad, but just let it go.

My wife often says "let go, or be dragged along. It's your choice."

Something that has always perplexed me is the phrase "Non-dairy product". Is a banana a non-dairy product? If not, is it a dairy product? :o

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

My wife often says "let go, or be dragged along. It's your choice."

That is flipping brilliant.  It's going over my office door...

• Like 1

Always remember the 7 P's

Proper Planning and Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. 

• Like 1

Hanging in the waiting room in my shop is a small poster that reads "when a task is first begun, never leave it till its done. Be the task big or small do it right or not at all." A saying from my late grandma dorothy.

Tom

• Like 2

From a sign in the late Grant Sarver's shop:

"We can do it good, fast, and cheap. Pick any two."

• Like 2

My Dad always said the hardest part of any job is getting started.

Edited by Randy Griffin
  • Like 1

Work stage by stage but always keep the end goal in sight (my philosophy)

• Like 1

There are two types of people in this world:

1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

• Haha 2

Good one  !!!........................:D

Every time someone makes a foolproof product, someone else makes a better fool...