Glaive, Basilard and Ka-bar

Thought Id post some recent work. None of its as polished as it should be, but hope its a little unique and of interest to someone. Thanks for checking it out.

Here is a close up of my attempt at a glaive which was for Forged in Fire. It was made from iron pipe, a truck leaf spring and VW flat torsion springs for the langets. My only major regret is not having time to try any etching on it,  Id also like to try a big integral socket sometime, just not under that kind of pressure.

Glaive.jpg

Next a basilard for medieval reenactment. I experimented with home made plywood from oak veneer for the sheath and handle and my wife card wove a nifty belt for it. Its a medium carbon lawnmower blade that had to be water quenched. I should have lined the sheath as you can see by the wear on the bluing of the blade.basilard.jpg

Lastly my own version of a ka-bar. It took a little longer than six hours... Its EDC sized with a 3 inch blade from truck leaf spring rust blued, color case hardened wrought iron fittings and a figured maple handle. I used anilin dye, wish I had tried acid dyeing the handle. Leather sheath  is decorated with the snake which is the symbol of the town of Itri, Italy its dyed to match the handle. IMG_0340.JPGIMG_0343.JPG

• Like 2

Nice to see the glaive that you made for FIN.  It looks great and it really did a job on that deer carcass.  The basilard wood look better if it had a triangular blade but the handle is nice.  The Ka-bar looks nice also but it seems like the blade is a little short.  The maple handle is ok but I keep trying to picture it with an African blackwood handle to go along with the blackened blade and furniture.

Doug

Thanks for the interest and the comments!

With the basilard most of them seem to have a dagger style blade but I have seen some pictures of Italian ones that are single edged with that kitchen knife profile, some with a fuller. That was what I was going for, though I didn't get the shape quite right and should have started from thicker stock.

On the ka-bar I was trying to push it as small as possible and still look a little like a ka-bar. Although I wanted a traditional color scheme I wasn't that happy with the way the maple came out, the figure got lost in the texturing. But my current knife project should have blued fittings and a ridged blackwood handle when its done! I should also note I followed the instructions on color case hardening from this forum and it worked first try.

Gerhard do you have any idea what those flat springs are made of? I have a big stack of them in all sorts of sizes from about a half inch to over an inch wide, they were my cut from an adventure which involved camping out in a moving van parked in front of an Audi/VW repair shop in the Bronx quite a few years ago.  Iv used them for small knifes and tools and they seem like they are water hardening?

Thanks again.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:09 AM, nsantella said:

Gerhard do you have any idea what those flat springs are made of? I have a big stack of them in all sorts of sizes from about a half inch to over an inch wide, they were my cut from an adventure which involved camping out in a moving van parked in front of an Audi/VW repair shop in the Bronx quite a few years ago.  Iv used them for small knifes and tools and they seem like they are water hardening?

Thanks again.

My google-foo wasn't strong enough to find out the steel, obviously a spring steel but I don't think it's 5160.....just a feeling from working with it.

I quenched in Canola and very happy with the results......so far. I'm sharpening both tonight, will see how they hold up.