I'm looking for advice on how to carry this knife, and consequently what kind of sheath I should make. The knife is about 13" long. I was thinking about a lumbar carry, but I worry about difficulty with re-sheathing. I don't want a vertical carry because I don't want the knife to draw a lot of attention. 

Any pictures, ideas, or advice would be appreciated. 

C2677CB0-43FA-4E9A-9FF9-A59E98108900.jpeg

Carry where?

A lot has to be considered then. Any gear or pack you have will have to be factored in as there may be interference from one to the other. Pack in the way or knife in the way. I have a kind of hybrid makeshift shoulder strap rig when I carry a khukri off pavement. 

Posted (edited)

Is that 13 inches over-all length or just the blade?

I would suggest one of my favorite methods, the inverted strap it to the back pack shoulder straps. The sheath is similar to the horizontal lumbar carry with two loops that go around the belt, but they attach to the shoulder strap of the backpack instead. I carried an 8 inch blade Kabar style knife that way for 7 years doing back-country SAR.

This disregards the "I don't want it to draw a lot of attention", but then again, it's kind of difficult to conceal a short sword :)

You could do something similar where it attaches to the side of the backpack body, that would make it less visible, but getting it back into the sheath can be a little tricky. Something this size makes you have to choose between easily deployed and easily seen, or somewhat concealed/hidden and somewhat difficult to deploy or stow,

Edited by Joshua States

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Is that 13 inches over-all length or just the blade?

I would suggest one of my favorite methods, the inverted strap it to the back pack shoulder straps. The sheath is similar to the horizontal lumbar carry with two loops that go around the belt, but they attach to the shoulder strap of the backpack instead. I carried an 8 inch blade Kabar style knife that way for 7 years doing back-country SAR.

This disregards the "I don't want it to draw a lot of attention", but then again, it's kind of difficult to conceal a short sword :)

You could do something similar where it attaches to the side of the backpack body, that would make it less visible, but getting it back into the sheath can be a little tricky. Something this size makes you have to choose between easily deployed and easily seen, or somewhat concealed/hidden and somewhat difficult to deploy or stow,

Thanks for the tips. It's 13" overall. 

I was trying to think if I would ever be carrying it without a backpack, but I suppose if the sheath can do double duty as a lumbar carry or shoulder strap carry it shouldn't matter.