An announcement

First, for all of you who have read Keys over the years, it's K (eyes).  There is some family lore about that.  In the late '40's, right after WWII, my Grandfather was setting up his business as a monument maker.  He and my Grandmother sat down an had a discussion about whether they were going to keep the English pronunciation (K eyes) or go with the flow and live with Keys.  Ever since we have been correcting people.  When I got married the first time, we thought we had everything covered.  We missed telling the JP about the name.  So, when the time came to announce the bride and groom, he said Keys, and the whole right side of the room, in chorus, said "It's Keyes!".  I still get a laugh about that.

I bonked pretty hard about the start of hour 2.  The forges are so hot, and the space is so cramped, and I got a little wobbly.  I got some water and a cool towel and leaned on the anvil and Will asked some questions to see how oriented I was (he is a trained medic).  I'm never sure what the date is, and I'm foggy on day of the week, so that exchange was funny.  The water and towel helped, and it was about then I decided to screw trying to get the can off and things got back on track.  One thing they didn't show you was that also about then the hammer went down.  I was counting on using the hammer to draw some thickness out of the billet.  In the end I lopped about a 1/3rd off and still had too much steel.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have, now that the NDA's are off, I can talk about pretty much everything.  I met a great group of smiths, we bonded like people you know, but haven't seen in a while.  Right now we are working on 3 damascus blades that we intend to raffle for charities.  I'm leaning toward Wounded Warrior myself.  All of the judges were great, the production staff are the best, even the guy who drove us, Quest, was a blast to meet.

This was a great experience, and maybe one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I would got back for another episode in a heartbeat.  I didn't go to the finale and that was my fault.  OTOH, I still have no clue how I would have built the damn thing, and I'm also still not convinced that it was ever a weapon, and certainly not a throwing weapon.

I'm proud of what I was able to do, and, serrations aside, mine was the best of the 4.  I just didn't give them what they asked for.  I would have sent me home, in that case.

Geoff

just watched it. was rooting for you the whole time Geoff, but after you went out im glad who won did (trying to be spoiler free here :D)

when they first said serrations I thought oh boy. never been a fan of them. always thought they were a lazy mans means of staying sharp

aside from that well done man, was great to see you at work under tough circumstances

Edited by Ross Vosloo

I  The darn tv remote is packed in a box somewhere I haven't seen the episode yet... I will as soon as its unboxed

(SPOILERS IF YOU HAVN'T SEEN IT)

EDIT: Hah I forgot that history channel is a thing so I just finished the episode. That Weapon looks extremely difficult to forge I was not surprised when they snapped.

Also, nice job Geoff, bet you learned a ton!

Edited by Conner Michaux

I went in knowing that they had been doing a lot of can welding.   I didn't get to practice, but I watched Jay's videos on using whiteout.  Then I decided that I would just incorporate the can in the weld and save some time.  As soon as I got in the room and saw Jay, that thought flew out of my head, and I tried to use whiteout.  I rushed and my coverage was poor.  In the end, I remembered about just using the can and went for it.  If the hammer had not gone down I meant to fold the billet in half and reweld it, but I never got that far.

Listen to the judges is top of the list of what learned.

G

• Like 1

I just watched this on daily motion. I have to say I was totally surprised at the end. 

Great work Geoff.

8 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I would go again, if asked.  It was a blast

Did they call you or did you actively apply to be a contestant?

21 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

You see the spelling my Mom considered and (thankfully) rejected.  Jaufre.  It was bad enough being the new kid every year.

I would go again, if asked.  It was a blast

G

I know how you feel. I audibly tell people my shortened first name, and 95% of the time I have to spell it out and pronounce it really slow. When I was in school I always knew when they were about to call my full first name (Zebulon) during roll call on the first day of school each year. There would be a brief pause followed by "I'm not even gonna try it. Camper?" :lol:

I have stayed away from this thread because we had a huge storm come through that night and took out the power so it didn't record. I have been waiting for a re-run but I had to check this thread out to see what was said. We finally got the power back on yesterday and now we have another storm system moving in. It shouldn't baba's bad as Tuesday's storm though so fingers crossed we don't lose power again. I have shit to do in the shop and cant afford to lose power for 3 more days!