Doug Lester

Considering making a hanger

Now that my shoulder is starting to feel alright I'm thinking about getting back out the the forge.  I've always like the looks of a hanger so I'm considering making one of those especially after see samples of hangers made with scale handles.  I figure I would make the tang a little narrower than the blade and let the shell guard rest on the shoulders of the blade which will overlay the bow guard which will arch down to meet the pommel.

The next question is the steel.  I'll want something to use that is going to be high in toughness.  I was thinking about getting some S5 in 7/8" plain rod from Hudson Tool Steels or possibly using L6.  Whatever I use it looks like it's going to have to be a compromise between toughness and wear resistance.

Any feedback will be much appreciated, especially from anyone who's used S5.

Doug

I'd go with 5160, myself.  L6 would be fine, as would 80CrV2.  I've made the blades from 1084 as well, perfectly fine.  I wouldn't bother with the S series.  Way more trouble to forge than it's worth.  That's S-7, though.  S-5 may be a little easier.  

7 minutes ago, GPrimmer said:

what's a hanger?

A relatively short, curved, single-edged sword with a handguard, common from around 1650-1800.  Related to the cutlass.  

80crv2 has quickly become my preferred steel for long blades, tempered at 500° it's amazingly tough.  There's a lot of good steels out there to choose from though...

Thanks guys.  I was looking to stick with a hypoeutetic steel to have more toughness in the blade.  I don't know why I didn't think of 5160.  If I could find a source I'd stick with 9260.  Maybe if I dig around the shop a bit I might surprise myself and find a bar that I have leftover.  Maybe I'll find a million dollars hidden in the rafters.

GPrimmer, I was looking at a Scholagladatoria video on YouTube on the subject of hangers and cutlasses and Mat? Easton said that really the only difference between the two were the guards.  A hanger will have a simple bow guard, possibly with a clam shell guard or a bar extending over the back of the hand whereas a cutlass has some form of a bowl guard.  Occasionally you'll see a hanger, especially later date ones, that only have a small crossguard.  Hangers, for civilian use, were sometimes referred to a hunting swords though they were often worn a sidearms.  Soldiers carried them as a weapon of last resort in case they lost their musket and bayonet or had to fight in close spaces.

Doug