Alan Longmire

This is why I'm always recommending files to people

I have a question...… Say you have a long dagger that you needed to draw file flat and you don't own a file. What file would you buy to get the job done.

This is a hypothetical question. I have some files but I think they suck. I am in the market to buy a few new one's. I don't really care about the price as long as it is good. 

So basically a good file for drawing filing annealed high carbon steel. 

Edited by JASON VOLKERT
forgot to add

I'd look for NOS USA-made Nicholsons on eBay, starting with a 16" mill bastard or magicut.  if you have to buy new, the 14" Simonds multicut is good to do heavy stock removal, but they leave serious ripples that you'll need to take out with a mill bastard.  Check MSCdirect.com, don't even think of big box stores.  They do not sell files, only file-shaped objects.  Also look for long-angle lathe files.  NOT Mexican Nicholsons.  

• Like 1

hahahahahah "only file shaped object" 

O man I almost spit my drink on my computer.

I will have to check out your suggestions. Thanks

On 8/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

I tried to find a link to Don Fogg's Arctic Fire presentation of draw filing, but couldn't find one anywhere on the Internet (not just this forum).  Does it exist out there anywhere?  I have the DVD, and definitely recommend watching all Arctic Fire videos for anyone!  

Sorry it took so long for me to post this: 

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

What file would you buy to get the job done.

I have actually found that a smooth file cuts better than most other files I have used, I don't know why but it does..:huh:

• Like 1

That video was great. I guess I have been filing to aggressively. I've been filing like my life depended on it. Lol. I'm gonna have to try that finger tip approach.

Many thanks for posting it. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Dave Stephens said:

Sorry it took so long for me to post this: 

Some things are worth the wait @Dave Stephens, and this was no exception. I am so grateful that this post is pinned. Alan already had my head spinning, now this video Wow.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go wait for the UPS guy to deliver some files.....<_<

Edited by Joshua States

Something I rigged up a few days ago.  I replaced one of my vises with another bigger vise. 

I bought one of those simple harbor freight monster pivoting 5in vises.  In an unexpected moment a method came to me.  Normally when I draw file for a blade, I use that little 2x4 vise (get yourself one, its the most versatile little thing I've ever had - goes everywhere in a pinch) works great for what I do.  <--- the non-hit it with a hammer stuff I got a post vise for that. 

Then it came to me, I don't need to make file guides, I can just pivot the vise!!!

*Lightning bolts and light bulbs* 

I really do not know how well this is going to work, I have not tested it out yet.  The moment of a great realization was pretty cool, don't spoil it for me yet.

20181213_114738.jpg

Yes I always use a backing board while draw-filing a knife blade, nothing more stupid to do than to stick yourself in some uncomfortable way and explain to someone how exactly you stabbed yourself. 

Edited by Daniel W

No offense intended Daniel, but that looks a little over engineered to me. If I were you, I would attach a backer board just below the benchtop to the vertical support and attach the Vice to the front of the bench so the stationary jaw is about flush with the benchtop. Then take a stiff board or piece of 3/8" flat bar and slide it through the vice. Like so.

Hand sanding station small.jpg

This is my hand sanding setup and it would also be my first choice for draw filing.

Why didn't I think of that years ago?  

That's me, over complicate and over think everything.  Somewhere along my thought paths the road of simple to do is just washed out, and I only see the complicated steps for a process to work.  I have a lot of 'You dummy' moments in the work shop.   

On 12/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, Daniel W said:

Why didn't I think of that years ago?  

That's me, over complicate and over think everything.  Somewhere along my thought paths the road of simple to do is just washed out, and I only see the complicated steps for a process to work.  I have a lot of 'You dummy' moments in the work shop.   

I am fundamentally a lazy man. Therefore, the most effort I will put into something is figuring out the easiest way to get it done.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what its worth, I've been using a big 16" Brazilian made Nicholson half round single cut pipe fitters file for rough stock removal for several years now.  Its held up well through my stupidity (wasn't always night enough to grind off or vinegar soak the scale first).

I've also been happy with German made Pferd files for general work. But I'm starting to see the occasional non German made file from them. Don't know about those personally. 

Good thread. 

I recently bought 3 grits of Pferd files as my dedicated draw-filing files.

Looks like on big blades I will always need to revert to files to get things fixed up and even, only problem is I suspect teeth break off on the edges and one pass can put in some pretty deep gouges