Alan Longmire

This is why I'm always recommending files to people

i drilled a bunch of holes in a grid into a bit of pine 4x4 and i stick the tangs of the files in the holes, it doesnt accommodate files with handles though. im thinking about doing the same sort of thing but with slots that the tips of the files can fit into. i have around 18 files in a 4"x10" area so it doesnt take much space. i have a few handles that go on and off quickly for different sized tangs.

it would be worth making something a little nicer though since files are used so often.

Just got home and figured I'd do a quick photoplay of where most of my files live.  Keep in mind I've been busy at work for a year, sick for the last month, and am by nature an organized slob at best...

First, a head-on and an oblique shot of the main file storage.  Secondary files are behind the junk-covered stool on the right, and are mostly chainsaw and three-square files, although there's a hoof rasp on the long end.

file rack 1.jpg

file rack 2.jpg

Some of the long ones stay on the bench top leaning against the wall:

big uns.jpg

The needle files live on the portable bench.  The red ones are for steel, the blue ones are for nonferrous.

needle files.jpg

The wood rasps and large nonferrous files are on the floor leaning against the engraving tool case.  The stain on the big 14" second cut is what happens when mice get into the shop.  They pee on anything of value, leaving a trail of rust and shredded shop rags.  The flat file on the floor is deceased and awaiting conversion to edge tools.  Good files are never flat on the floor!  There's also a mailbox full of hoof rasps and a pile of dead files behind the bandsaw, not shown since they are not working tools at the moment.  There's also a pair of two-tanged drawfiles in a tube on the bench that are not shown.  

wood rasps.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting these pics, Alan.  You may just have educated my little wife a bit.  She constantly accuses me of being a hoarder and the most disorganized person she's ever known.  I keep telling her there are a lot of creative people such as myself who are equally or more disorganized as I.  Nice to see someone who agrees with me that a clean and organized shop is the sign of a sick mind. :D

And I know where everything is, too!  If anyone moves something, it's gone forever.  Of course, sometimes that someone is me... :lol:

That certainly looks a lot like my benches.  I usually have at lease square foot or so of bench surface showing that I can actually work on though :P  I am most definitely a slob.

I like those wrench rolls.  I'll tack a couple onto my next amazon order.

@Chris Christenberry Don't take too much comfort.  Alan is an archeologist, and used to the temporal axis being vertical.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Well, at least you don't have to dig through drawers when you need something. :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Don't take too much comfort.  Alan is an archeologist, and used to the temporal axis being vertical.

Well, I have to admit I'm not intelligent enough to know what the heck a temporal axis is, so I looked it up..............and I'm not even smart enough to understand the definition! :D  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

Well, at least you don't have to dig through drawers when you need something. :lol: 

If I put something in a drawer, it's the same as if I threw it away, never to be seen again!

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Well, I have to admit I'm not intelligent enough to know what the heck a temporal axis is, so I looked it up..............and I'm not even smart enough to understand the definition! :D  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Simply means that the longer it's been sitting there, the further down you need to dig to find it :)

It would help if we would build bigger shops. My boss once told me your shop needs to be big enough you can't throw a skill saw all the way across it. :lol: 

Thanks, Brian...........THAT makes sense!

Randy, I kind of agree with your boss.  But I used to own a manufacturing facility that was 36,000 sq ft.  You'd think that would be "big enough", but it looked like Alan's workbench, so I'm not so sure that's the solution.  Never having enough room in a shop is like never having enough money in my bank account. :D

WRENCH ROLL That's the word I've been looking for! I've been looking all over for one of those but have not seen one because I must be blind!  I needed something to port around some files when I got off to local forges. 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, Randy Griffin said:

It would help if we would build bigger shops. My boss once told me your shop needs to be big enough you can't throw a skill saw all the way across it. :lol: 

I think vikings did something similar with axes to define the boundary of the land they owned.

Because my space is limited, and I also use my basement for wood work and finishing work, I tend to keep an organized space.  I've found that I need floor space because I'm usually building something big lately.  Shelving, and just getting anything hung up has been a goal lately, and I'm happier I'm not tripping over anything.  Sometimes forget where I place something, but I'm also organizing things together.  for instance, All my sanding equipment is on one work stand, with all the sanding paper, and tools for sanders, sanding jigs etc.