Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

New forge burner design from Jock Dempsey, the Anvilfire Guru

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/products/P-75/

I have no dog in this deal, but Jock is a friend and generally knows what he's doing.  Where else can you get an ASSEMBLED burner ready to go for $50?  Again, I have never used one of these.  Just putting the info out there for what appears to be a basic, well-balanced venturi burner for cheaper than you can buy the parts to build your own.

I just actually read over that page, those are some interesting looking burners.  Now how well they actually run?  Id also love to see a video of them actually burning.  This is something new to me the way the air intakes are actually carved out into the burners.  The thread hook ups are actually set into the pipe itself.  Very interesting.

If Jock Dempsey says they work, they work.  The only new thing about these burners is the price, side arm burners are all over the place.

You choose your style; blown or venturi, and off you go.  Both work, both get plenty hot.  The technology is less interesting than the making of stuff, IMHO

G

• Like 2

The only real difference between these and the $200+ venturi burners from T-Rex (hybridburners), Chileforge, etc. is these currently have a fixed choke.  Jock says he's going to be adding an adjustable inlet cover, which will make them virtually identical.  In the meantime, masking tape works fine if you feel the need to choke them back a little.

Thanks guys, I just ordered a couple. 

My forge lining is on it's last leg, and I have been wanting to make a new forge that is a little longer than my current one.  I have a old forklift propane tank I'll use as the shell, so these will work a treat :)

So simple looking it makes any of my little builds look like crap . . . and for $50 . . . . its worth every penny of not dealing with the frustrations of what part you may have built wrong.

Posted (edited)

That pretty much settles most discussions given the price. I know I can't DIY for that price. I don't need one at the moment but...

A couple of good reviews and that will make answering "building burners for beginners" a "point to it" process.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

I started to build a couple of burners similar to that design six or seven years ago but went to a sidearm style instead. Funny, I just found them in my scrap/maybe later bin a couple days ago, might just have to finish them now just cuz..............:rolleyes:

On 8/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Thanks guys, I just ordered a couple. 

My forge lining is on it's last leg, and I have been wanting to make a new forge that is a little longer than my current one.  I have a old forklift propane tank I'll use as the shell, so these will work a treat :)

Hi Brian,  how are these burners working out for you?

Jlinner - Sorry, I missed your question.  I've had a few life changes (good ones) holding me up on my projects at home, but am getting close to getting these burners and the new forge fired up.  I'll post back when I get it done.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Would these burners work in a 20# propane tank forge?

They should.  One would be fine for general forging, might need two to weld reliably.  Note I have not even seen one in person, but if Jock says it works, it will work.  Did you look at the link?  And they're just $75.  Compare that to a 3/4" T-rex from hybridburners.com, admittedly the Rolls-Royce of venturi burners.  

Pretty much what they were designed for. Download all the info on their site and read it carefully. They have mounting options depending on you tools and/or your skill with them. I am still grinning about them turning out a burner like this a such a price. 

This will work much better than the crap 110$ devil forge burner I bought.