John Page

The Birth of a Workshop

Hello folks! It's been almost a year since I was engaged in the hunt for land, and as may be obvious by the lack of progress on the shop, it was unsuccessful. Not to say that what I am looking for is not out there, but I have not found it yet. Given the monumental investment from a life-perspective it would be to close on a property, I do not want to rush into something that has the chance to be a mistake (harsh wording but you get the idea). 

In the meantime, life has taken me in an interesting direction, and in many ways it is better that I did wait to pursue the land situation. While still in and out of the forge, I have a new day job working in urban forestry, mostly running a sawmill. In that way, I have already learned a considerable amount about the milling, drying, and preservation of timber, some of the challenges of using wood that does not come from bulk suppliers, and a whole host of other things that will all inevitably play a serious role in how I move forward with building a shop someday. Needless to say, it has been fruitful in a way I would never have imagined and, looking back a year ago, not somewhere I would have expected to be. None the less I am incredibly grateful that I have the opportunity to cultivate some of this knowledge and where it may lead.

Cheers!

John

• Like 1

I was wondering where this project was. Congrats on the newfound occupation. Sounds like the Force is strong with you...….or at least taking an interest in your endeavor!

As for land searching, are you still set on the northeast? Other parts of the country may have the land at better pricing than you will find there.

While in southern California for the time being, it's up in the air how long I'll be here. Life's good,  but I don't see myself being here forever. As to where, the north east holds a special place in my heart but I'm certainly open to other places. I went up to the pac north west for the first time last October and absolutely loved it. I could see myself ending up there too, although at this point it all depends on more factors than I can reasonably predict. For now, however, I'm content with where things are going and I trust that it'll all work out! With the strange twists and turns that have come that I couldn't predict, I'm sure there will be more.