Sign in to follow this  
Adriaan Gerber

Funny moment at the forge

So I did something kinda dumb. I welded a small billet with mild steel one side, high carbon the other. I knew quenching in water would bend it towards the mild and that it is possible?? to straighten by hammering the mild thus stretching it. Comical moment when the blade bent dramatically inside the forge! Of course, its a bi-metal. I tried several things to get it straight after quenching but no. My question is, what could I have done? Is it possible to do this with blades? I know kiridashi and chisels are different, but I wanted the same idea just along the whole blade length. Thanks guys, Adriaan

3 minutes ago, Adriaan Gerber said:

mild steel

^^ Mild Steel^^

A differential quench may help, such as the Japanese do by claying the blade. What are you trying to accomplish?

It works best to do that with wrought iron rather than mild steel.  It still bends, but you straighten it by hammering on the wrought.  Scary, but that's how the Japanese do it for single-bevel laminated knives.

It was spur of the moment thing, I wanted a double-edged, single bevel pattern-welded dagger. Big mouthful :) I did end up hammering out the mild and it straightened a bit but because of the bevels, most of the mild was gone. So not enough to straighten it.