Sign in to follow this  
Kerri Duncan

What CONTROLLER to get on a HT oven???

OK guys/gals/folks and friends- been hard at work getting a few things set up for my garage evolution to a small shop space... I know I will eventually be putting the money into a HT Oven before New Years... and looking at Evenheat ovens. (Specifically the KO 22.5)

TAP, Genesis, Rampmaster, add temp/hold temp Set-Pro... Im not looking to buy something I will never use half the features on- and in my stumbles across the web have not found a breakdown or comparison of the various functions. (Or what the multi-level functions are applicable to)

I know for forge and knife work I am heading into these steels:

1. 10XX steels
  2. 15N20
  3. O1/D2/W1
  4. I have a bit of 4140 from a friend (want to make some hammers and tooling)
  5. ATS-34 (no forge- stock removal only for this) This is the most exotic I have now and I have a fair amount of it from a closeout I stumbled upon at a machine shop (yes- I bought it all)
  6. 440C (stock removal)

So my question is this- WHAT controller makes sense? I dont need to control it from my phone or get updates (not an Apple/iOs guy anyway)... I may be missing the point of having a variety of pre-programmed options... Yes I want to eventually use this oven for other things as well:

1. Precipitation HT for Aluiminum parts (I have a foundry and sand-cast 356 and 6061 parts) <--- NOT A PROFESSIONAL- Amatuer HACK-level for now ;) 
  2. Springs 
  3. Ageing Bronze and annealing Silver wire coils/pieces
  4. Gunparts and Case-hardening items

I like the ability to load and program from my laptop (want to do data-centric "Lot" letters for batches of knives and for documentation) and collect the time/temp tracking data- but Im not sure what I need- Looking for guidance and hey- lets face it... Im a noob- so if ya get a chuckle out of my 10-thumb, ham-handed and left foot approach to this- you are NOT alone- Im laughing at myself every day  trying to learn!

I realize there is no "One system fits all" solution but as a startup the knives are first and then the other things are "bonus" for usage. 

Thanks in advance folks- I am really appreciative of the body of knowledge here. 

Kerri

Take a look at this site you will get a better idea of what a controller can and can't do. http://www.auberins.com/

You can see the options available. Options have nothing to do with, what you referenced in the quote below!! 

3 hours ago, Kerri Duncan said:

So my question is this- WHAT controller makes sense? I dont need to control it from my phone or get updates (not an Apple/iOs guy anyway)... I may be missing the point of having a variety of pre-programmed options... Yes I want to eventually use this oven for other things as well:

The options have to do with controlling the temp and the time that temp is too be held, etc., etc.! You need to do some reading up about heat treatment! In fact read everything you can find and when you think you have HT down, you need to realize you are just scratching the surface. There should be some stickies on HT. Sometimes when it comes to knife making you have to walk before you can run!! That takes time it is not something that comes overnight!!

The following is from Kevin Cashen: If you ever see anything he puts out about HT, sit up, pay attention. As there are few that can give you the entire theory and practice of HT-ing in a nut shell!! 

Introductory and basic information for understanding both the how’s and the why’s of heat treating:

Basics Of Heat Treating; Building Our Toolbox

Normalizing

Annealing

Hardening Part 1

Hardening Part 2

Tempering

Chemistry considerations in heat treating operations

Here is a link to the most in depth explanation you will find on 1080 and 1084 by Kevin Cashen. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/25/review-kevin-cashens-guide-to-1084/

And no I do not work for Kevin or do I get a kickback. His name was given to me by my mentor, who told me if I ever saw anything by Kevin Cashen or Karl Anderson to read anything I could find by them as they were both very knowledgeable. I did not know at the time how great this advise was!!

Yes I realize this is not the steel you were inquiring about but this some of the best starting steel you can ask for 1080 and 1084. This goes along with the learning to walk before you run

As to the initial question Auberins There are cheaper controllers on eBay but you won't find one that works better or is easier to understand than those form Auberins!!

Edited by C Craft

Thanks C.... the links are awesome and I'm have some time during the hurricane to start the deep dive. Just scratching the surface, and am already swimming in "options" ... Here is the basis for my statement of iOs and phone app...

"A TAP Controller app is available for iOS devices and is accessible using an Evenheat or SDS Industries supplied USB dongle or, if you prefer, an Ethernet connection. The TAP app allows the user to monitor the kiln, develop and edit programs and perform TAP Controller functions from a networked iOS compatible computer, tablet or mobile device."

-From Evenheat TAP info

Hmmm...  

I scoffed at the idea of being able to control my crock-pot from my phone while I am at work, but for some reason being able to control a heat treat oven that way sounds cool.

(Is that a confirmation bias?)

Probably not biased... I guess I should have just asked what HT ovens do folks use and what are some Pro's and Con's to look for when starting out.

I'm a bit of a data nerd so the links CHRIS C shot over are great. 

I'm also a fan of MatWeb and GlobalSpec for generic metal info!