Lights going bad

Hey all,

Kind of a specific question: I've been running my propane forge out-of-doors in an alleyway underneath some lighting fixtures, and the light bulbs have been going bad more frequently than the others that I am farther away from. There is at least 5 feet between the bulbs and the top of the forge. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Yep.  It happens.  The gasses coming out of the forge are around 1800-2200 degrees F, and while they will lose heat quickly, it'll still be very much hotter than the design parameters of the light fixtures if they are directly above the forge.  Florescents are more susceptible than incandescents.  They typically go out at around 110 degrees F.  If you get the ballasts hotter, they go bad fast as well.  They can take up to around 130-140 degrees before they burn out.

My forge is in a shed with a roll-up door.  The door isn't directly above my forge when it is running, but the handle is uncomfortably warm to the touch sometimes when I put the door down after a forging session.

To back up Alan's point, a lot of cheaper consumer grade electronics, like light bulb ballasts, are designed to keep the components just within their operating temperature range when the bulb is at "Room temperature" which is generally considered to be around 70F.  There will be nearly a 1:1 degree rise in the internal temp for every degree of ambient rise.  (OK, that is way oversimplified, but lets run with it)  So, if you raise the ambient temperature around the bulb to 140F, you are essentially making all of the components inside the bulb get 70 degrees hotter than the designers allowed for.  I wouldn't be surprised if the internal components were originally hitting 160F by design, so now you would be pushing them to 230F, which is hotter than the best mil-spec components are designed for.

• 2 weeks later...