Sign in to follow this  
Chad Scott

2018 Bowie

I put this one together at the beginning of the year. Forged from an old file with brass and salted maple for the handle

20180601_200304_HDR.jpg

20180601_200252_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Niiiice one!

Very good work but I think that I'd like to see more of a hardened edge on it.  Did you do a differential hardening or was that an auto hamom?

Doug

Now that I'm home,  can see it on the big screen.

I really like the blade shape. I am kind of partial to those long straight clips. I also like the way the edge walks away from parallel to the spine. I always feel that looks a little more threatening than a parallel edge/spine relationship. I also like the long texture lines on the bevels, but I could do without the leftover grinder marks that run across the bevel.

The S guard has nice curves too. Good shaping on that handle, it looks very gripable. (is that even a word?) Is the ricasso diamond shaped? It looks double beveled, but that could just be a shadow.

Thanks for the compliments and critiques! As you say, the handle is very grippable and comfortable.  And I also enjoy blades with a subtle almost recurve shape. The ricasso had some deep pitting on one side after I forged over some scale on the anvil, but that's what I get for being lazy. I ended up grinding the ricasso into that shape on both sides to fix the issue. 

The long lines running along the blade I believe are some alloy banding, I have that a lot when I forge out some of these old files. As far as the vertical lines go, they have to be grind lines. I could have I got all the lines out, as i sanded it to 2000 before polishing it to mirror on a buffing wheel. They showed up after I etched it. 

I lost the knife for a month in our recent move, and once I found it it unfortunately had rust spots along one side of the blade. So I will try to sand those lines out when I get to cleaning those out.