Richard van Dijk

Springbok, bronze and pattern welded Blade

Hi All

I make a fair few knives these days but I prefer to mainly post the special stuff.

Not sure what you would call this.

Springbok handle with coin bronze bolster and iron/nickle pommel. 
Approx 500 layer pattern welded steel, total length 58 cm (22.5 inch), blade 42.5 cm (16.5 Inch) handle 15 cm (6 inch.
I will be bringing it to the Auckland Blade Show.

P1130390.JPG

P1130404.JPG

P1130391.JPG

P1130401.JPG

• Like 3

Richard, always  like your stuff, this one is no exception! I would call it, very nicely done. The piece seems to be speaking to you!!

• Like 1

very very nice. i see location says NZ, but your name and the use of springbok horn, and correct spelling of bok, suggest South African? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

very very nice. i see location says NZ, but your name and the use of springbok horn, and correct spelling of bok, suggest South African? 

No Sorry Ross by I am Dutch but have  been living in NZ for about 40 years, I just like that sort of thing and bid on them when I see them for sale.

Oh no, Mr. Richard. You have been tarred with  'South African'. For an NZer , surely a hienous crime .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard van Dijk said:

No Sorry Ross by I am Dutch but have  been living in NZ for about 40 years, I just like that sort of thing and bid on them when I see them for sale.

5 hours ago, MacKINNON said:

Oh no, Mr. Richard. You have been tarred with  'South African'. For an NZer , surely a hienous crime .

My sincerest and deepest apologies! I too know the pain of getting painted with the south African brush when I'm actually Zimbabwean. Although, what's worse was when some one asked if I was Asutralian :P

4 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

My sincerest and deepest apologies! I too know the pain of getting painted with the south African brush when I'm actually Zimbabwean. Although, what's worse was when some one asked if I was Asutralian :P

Heaven  forbid ! To be called an 'Australian'.  Better to be called a yarpie  ;-)

• Like 1

Very nice looking blade let me say. How long did it take to make something like this ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cook said:

Very nice looking blade let me say. How long did it take to make something like this ? 

It is a bit like how long is a bit of string, I work off an on on something like that and make decisions about the design as I go I had planned a different handle but after the blade was etched it just was not right so it all takes time.

• Like 1

Richard,

As always, a really nice piece. I'm particularly fond of the pattern-welded buttcap with the fileworked bronze bead. You paralleled the organic nature of the horn grip in this element. Small things that show mastery.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

• Like 1

Ditto what Dave said. That is what I call a Heckava bush blade. That finial really pushes me over the top. Does it screw on?

Superb. That's all I have to say.

• Like 1

Yup, what them guys said....................................B)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Richard,

As always, a really nice piece. I'm particularly fond of the pattern-welded buttcap with the fileworked bronze bead. You paralleled the organic nature of the horn grip in this element. Small things that show mastery.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thank you for your compliment Dave and all the others as well.

Richard

20 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Ditto what Dave said. That is what I call a Heckava bush blade. That finial really pushes me over the top. Does it screw on?

Superb. That's all I have to say.

Thank you, Yes the nob on the pommel is  hard silver soldered to a threaded fitting so after  I epoxy everything I screw it tight.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, Richard van Dijk said:

It is a bit like how long is a bit of string, I work off an on on something like that and make decisions about the design as I go I had planned a different handle but after the blade was etched it just was not right so it all takes time.

Thanks Rich,that makes sense to :)