nprovos

Building a Metal Dust Collector

A lot of us spent a lot of our time in front of the grinder. I ended up getting myself a powered positive pressure respirator to breath clear air. However, the metal dust from the grinder gets everywhere. There is no surface in my shop where I don't get dust. On the other hand, dust collection for metal is surprisingly difficult. Many here use a water-based spark trap which also gets really messy. I found myself with some spare time and the desire to play with sheet metal. So, I am starting to build my own metal dust collector that does not require any water. As usual, I put this exploration on video. So, far I have built a Thien Baffle. Let me know if you have any advice or feedback.

Nice job on the video edits.  I'm still learning how to do them myself.  Not voice add ons.  How ever if you have access to an oxy acetylene torch with a cutting head you could use that to cut out the circle.  They cut through sheet metal like a red hot knife through butter.  I'm not sure if you have access to one of those or not.  But that might be an alternative.

Here is part two:

• Like 1

That's some good HDR!  I caught myself squinting while you were welding. :lol:

On 10/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, nprovos said:

Here is part two:

26 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I caught myself squinting while you were welding. :lol:

@Alan Longmire and @nprovos they do make welding lenses for video cameras that you can use.  It might help when you start filming your welding.  I'm not sure if that is a valid option for you @nprovos.  Its just a thought.

Do you have a pointer to a welding lens? First time I have heard about it.

That link did produce anything useful when I clicked on it (welding and lens related products, but not a good video lens for use during welding).  I can tell you that I looked really hard in the past for one and could not find anything suitable.  The best thing I could rig up was a camera operator holding a welding hood replacement lens in front of the camera right before welding started.  

1 hour ago, Jerrod Miller said:

That link did produce anything useful when I clicked on it (welding and lens related products, but not a good video lens for use during welding).  I can tell you that I looked really hard in the past for one and could not find anything suitable.  The best thing I could rig up was a camera operator holding a welding hood replacement lens in front of the camera right before welding started.  

That was actually all I found.  I could agree with that that even a eye piece rigged in front of the lense would work.  It wouldn’t even have to be the hole mask just the glass portion with the autodarkener

Great stuff Niels! This is a wonderful endeavor that I'm excited to continue watching- a very relevant application of engineering towards a frustrating problem.

Have you tried a stack of neutral density lenses? One or two of those on a small aperture with an IR filter thrown in should do the trick. I'm not sure if the ND filters measure strength in the same way as the welding shade intensity scale, but it might be worth a try.

Cheers!

I have filmed welding before. It's just takes a lot of effort to set it up. Check this out:

Here is an update. I get to try the sucker for the first time :-)

• Like 1

Niels, you were trying to cut that sheet with a welding tip. You should use a cutting head. You are going to love that plasma cutter too, and don't need the cutting torch head anymore. Unless, of course, your plasma cannot do thick stock. Looks like the dust collector is a success.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:42 PM, Joshua States said:

Niels, you were trying to cut that sheet with a welding tip. You should use a cutting head. You are going to love that plasma cutter too, and don't need the cutting torch head anymore. Unless, of course, your plasma cannot do thick stock. Looks like the dust collector is a success.

I never tried to cut with a torch before. I should have read up on it - on the other hand, it was sort of amusing trying to chase the heat around the cut and seeing it clearly not working. The plasma cutter is a blast, I have been using it for lots of other purposes as well, e.g. repairing the side blast forge. Thank you.