Gary Mulkey

Central States a Huge Success

One Saturday, Sept. 15 we held our second annual Central States Hammer-In & Knife Show.  This being a traveling show was held in Kansas this year at Glenview Forge, the home shop of Phil Evans in Columbus, KS.  No one ever knows how the crowd will be a new new and remote location like this but it was exceptional.  The knife show was shoulder-to-shoulder most of the day and the parked cars extended farther than I could see.  Sales were crisp there and the demos had record crowds.

Here's a few pictures of the event:

Central States 2

Central States 3

Central States 4

Central States 5

Central States 6

Central States 8

Central States 10

Central States 1

Central States 9

Central States 11

This event has continued to grow in popularity since it began 11 years ago as the old "Branson Hammer-In".  The Burr King representative there this year made the comment that the cutting competition had more spectators than the one at The Blade Show did.  BTW:  Bill MIller was the happy recipient of a brand new Burr King grinder that was given away as a door prize.

It's hard to find an event like this that has so much talent involved with both a knife show & demos continuously all day, especially one that has free admission.  Should you ever get the chance to attend I would highly recommend it.  Next year's event is still in the planning stages to be held either in OK or AR. probably in the the 4-corners area of the states near to Joplin, MO.

BTW:    Alan--The "Iron Mistress" did great in the cutting competition.  I took myself out of the lead though when I cut the water bottles above the label which was not accepted.  My own fault as I knew the rules.  I cut all ten of them but got no points for it.  I guess at 70 years old, my aim isn't what it used to be.;)

Looks like a fun time!  Too bad about the high shot with the bottles, I usually nick the table on the way out. :lol:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looks like a fun time!  Too bad about the high shot with the bottles, I usually nick the table on the way out. :lol:

The  worst that I've done was a couple of years ago to tear a thumb nail half way back on the edge of the table.  Superglue to  the rescue.:)

Edited by Gary Mulkey

OW !!.........:blink:     Looks like it was fun.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Is that you doing the backhand swing?  

That's me.  I like  to  cut the bottles on the backhand.

Very cool!!! Looks like a heck of a lot of fun and that was a sweet door prize!

• Thanks 1

I just got home a couple of hours ago, and have to say it was well worth the trip.  Demos and presentations all day long :)

• Thanks 1