IMG_20180919_164231-e1537383864385.jpg

Stats:
Overall length: 87cm
Blade length: 72cm
Blade width at base: 4.7cm
PoB: 13cm
CoP: ca 46cm
weight: 905g

This handy little sword is based on late medieval XVIII single handers. Wide and thin bladed, with acute edges and a fine point, it offers excellent cutting and thrusting capabilities. Though stiff enough to be used in armored combat, it is at its best in unarmored fighting, ideally in combination with a buckler. The low overall weight combined with a very pleasant balance make this a very agile weapon. 

IMG_20180919_164104-e1537383915619.jpg

IMG_20180919_164305-e1537383993890.jpg

From an aesthetic point of view, clear ridges and sweeping curves dominate. The guard tapers to almost sharp ends, mirroring the wide and thin blade. The blade is of diamond cross section, with the central ridge following on through the handle. The fire blackened fittings and dark red leather give the sword a somewhat sinister appereance. 

I'm quite happy with it, I hope you like it, too ;) 

Cheers, 
Lukas

IMG_20180919_164330-e1537384064417.jpg

• Like 3

Nice! did you forge this?

now one question, thinking of doing a dagger in the near future. How is the best way to go about grinding those bevels? mine will be forged in, as close as possible.  Need to start practicing that i suppose.

30 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Like a gal I knew long ago, light, fast, strong, and a beauty to behold.............................B)

I thought you were going to say fun to play with...….

Lukas, 

Oh yeah, I like it too! Where's that killer maker's mark? You know, the modified staff of Hippocrates?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, Tim Jackson said:

Nice! did you forge this?

now one question, thinking of doing a dagger in the near future. How is the best way to go about grinding those bevels? mine will be forged in, as close as possible.  Need to start practicing that i suppose.

The guard was forged but not the blade, I generally only do stock removal on sword blades. 

The key to getting good bevels is grinding on a large enought platen. I actually do most of my grinding (after getting the basic geometry with the angle grinder) lengthwise on a 30cm Long platen. That way you can really get flat bevels, somethings that's very, very hard to do over a long blade if you only grind across the belt as many knife makers do. Daggers are easier of course, being much shorter. 

If you forge, I'd forge thick and grind thin, at least in the beginning. More material to correct things that way. 

Edited by Lukas MG
  • Like 1

Just the right amount of sinister:ph34r: This is everything a sword should be, pointy, sharp and light enough to be fast! and it looks awesome!!! Do you have any scabbard plans? I would really like to see some more fire blackened accents on a wood core, leather wrapped scabbard!

• 2 weeks later...