Steve Nowacki

1750's style french trappers knife WIP

I've been talking about posting these pic's in a different thread and have eventually gotten my act together. I haven't made one of these folders for a little while, but that doesn't mean to say that there isn't one waiting to be commissioned some time in the future. At this point I have to mention the book Antler and Iron 2 by Gene Chapman, because it was the writing of that little gem of a book that was the inspiration for me to make these style of folders.

These first pic's are of the initial design of the folder and they show how I start to mark out the Sambar stag taper handle, this post may get a bit pic heavy.

DSCF2733.jpg

DSCF2734.jpg

DSCF2736.jpg

DSCF2737.jpg

The pic of this little horse shoe clamp was made after seeing the same one featured in the Gene Chapman book, like I said it is a gem of information.

DSCF2739.jpg

These next ones show the fit of the blade to the handle, how much material needs to be above the antler and how central I've managed to cut the recess foe the blade to sit in when closed.

DSCF2740.jpg

DSCF2741.jpg

DSCF2743.jpg

DSCF2746.jpg

DSCF2748.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki
  • Like 1

Here are a few more pic's to be going on with.

This is just one of the adapted saws that I use to cut the groove into the taper.

DSCF2757.jpg

And the u-shaped clamp in use.

DSCF2759.jpg

DSCF2760.jpg

Milling in the nail nick.

DSCF2764.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

A piece of leaf spring being cut which will be forged and used for the external back spring.

DSCF2770.jpg

A wooden template made so I can see that the shape of the spring matches the antler handle.

DSCF2771.jpg

Getting there.

DSCF2772.jpg

Dry fit up.

DSCF2773.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching with great interest............................B)

• Like 1

Cheers Alan, you are the man. I'll post some more tomorrow. 

Steve

Next instalment,

I've taken a 3.25mm M/S welding rod and hammered it square ready to twist and make the finger ring on the top of the back spring.

DSCF2775.jpg

I'll run the torch along the bar and then twist.

DSCF2776.jpg

DSCF2778.jpg

DSCF2779.jpg

The next thing is to make some of the rivets that'll be used in the construction of the folder.

DSCF2784.jpg

DSCF2786.jpg

DSCF2789.jpg

DSCF2790.jpg

DSCF2791.jpg

Now for the brass crown which will sit on top of the saddle, just as a bit of decoration.

DSCF2792.jpg

DSCF2794.jpg

Working the back spring, forming the finials each end and a little bit of file work.

DSCF2795.jpg

DSCF2797.jpg

DSCF2798.jpg

DSCF2799.jpg

DSCF2800.jpg

DSCF2801.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki

It's tipping it down here so I've got some more time to load a few more pic's for this WIP.

Just extending the notch on the back of the blade so it fits tighter with the back spring.

DSCF2807.jpg

Now the saddle is made from some thin M/S sheet and then coloured using plum browning solution.

DSCF2809.jpg

DSCF2810.jpg

DSCF2811.jpg

Making the small rivets which will hold all of the pieces together on the handle.

DSCF2815.jpg

This rivet actually goes through the antler and into the back spring and holds the back spring in place on the handle as can been seen in the lower picture.

DSCF2816.jpg

DSCF2817.jpg

This round bar I've drilled and tapped so I can hold the pommel cap more securely when filing and shaping it.

DSCF2820.jpg

DSCF2822.jpg

DSCF2823.jpg

DSCF2826.jpg

DSCF2827.jpg

DSCF2829.jpg

DSCF2833.jpg

One more check of everything then I'll gun blue the cap with some Phillips cold bluing solution.

DSCF2836.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki
  • Like 1

thanks, enjoying this very much.

d. adams

Jn. 3:16

• Like 1

Now to rivet the saddle to the back spring.

DSCF2838.jpg

This is the snap rivet tool held in the vice.

DSCF2837.jpg

The groove on the back of the spring here is to help the blade track nice and true when opening and closing the knife.

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2840.jpg

Now to clean the blade up with successive finer grits of abrasive.

DSCF2843.jpg

The bucking bar here is used to support the antler taper and hold the rivet in place which will attach the back spring to the handle. This is the only place where the back spring is physically attached to the handle. The saddle is riveted to the back spring and then the saddle is pinned to the sides of the handle, this creates more support closer to the pivot point of the blade and adds more pressure when opening and closing the knife.

DSCF2845.jpg

DSCF2846.jpg

DSCF2847.jpg

If you look closely at the lower picture you'll see that the inside of the antler is shiny that's because I apply super glue to the inside surfaces of the antler where any soft pith is still present. It just hardens any of these areas and will make the inner part of the handle less susceptible to water or moisture ingress.

DSCF2848.jpg

Everything is now coming together quite nicely.

DSCF2849.jpg

The rivets which hold the saddle in place are dry fitted and then marked and then cut to length so they do not protrude into the groove where the blade sits and cause any obstruction. They are then re-fitted with a little super glue to make sure they don't come out.

DSCF2850.jpg

DSCF2851.jpg

DSCF2853.jpg

Here are the final pic's of the completed knife plus a rustic style sheath made so the customer can wear his knife on his belt. I hope you've enjoyed the WIP guys and thank you again Alan for pinning it to the board.

DSCF2865.jpg

DSCF2866.jpg

DSCF2858.jpg

DSCF2859.jpg

DSCF2899.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki
  • Like 4

Gene would be proud!  That's an excellent example of the style, thank you for the WIP.  B)

• Like 1

It's a pleasure Alan you're more than welcome buddy and thank you for your sentiments it means a great deal to me.

Dude!  That was a sweet WIP!  I know you have made a few of these knives and I love seeing them every time you post one.  Such nice work!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Wes. I have so many pic's of this build that I would love to turn it into a book maybe sometime in the future, but it's like a lot of things I just need to find the time. 

Edited by Steve Nowacki