Sign in to follow this  
Emiliano Carrillo

Moonlight Seax

Where can I find this casket? Never mind, I found it, but the casket and the sheath are only remotely similar.

Where does the imagination find these exquisite shapes for tooling? How do you come up with that?

Edited by Joshua States

:o

Loving this so much! I'm about at the point, something like 5(?) months out now, that I'm starting to go stir crazy from lack of interesting stuff to do, and so I live vicariously! I can't imagine what those twists would have looked like at their original length, that's awesome they look that way after so much drawing out! The ruby situation is timely, and for reasons I'll explain next time I'm up in your neck of the woods, I'm hopefully going to have some interesting things to bring back from the other side of the world.

Keep up the awesome work, looking forward to what's coming next!

John

On 12/17/2018 at 2:00 AM, Clifford Brewer said:

Damn !!!...... The cool factor is gittin' exponential on this !!!..................B)

Thanks! I hope I did it justice! Finished photos will be going up momentarily! 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

Wow that sheath is looking great already! 

I didn't know wood glue worked with leather, it might just be an improvement over the super messy contact glue I currently use.

Thanks! It certainly does! I use Titebond original which I have never had problems with! I've used contact glue several times in the past and I was not happy with it. The wood glue penetrates the grain of the leather very nicely and creates a strong bond after a very short amount of time, maybe 10-15 minutes of working the seam by hand and it is ready to be left alone to dry!  

On 12/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, Joshua States said:

Where can I find this casket? Never mind, I found it, but the casket and the sheath are only remotely similar.

Where does the imagination find these exquisite shapes for tooling? How do you come up with that?

I used a small part of the ornamentation as inspiration and modified and complicated it a little to get the look I was going for! I honestly don't have any really good advice other than look at a lot of original art and borrow motifs and ideas where necessary! This sheath was certainly my best knot work to date, but it doesn't come naturally to me as it seems to Petr or Jake. 

On 12/21/2018 at 5:11 AM, John Page said:

:o

Loving this so much! I'm about at the point, something like 5(?) months out now, that I'm starting to go stir crazy from lack of interesting stuff to do, and so I live vicariously! I can't imagine what those twists would have looked like at their original length, that's awesome they look that way after so much drawing out! The ruby situation is timely, and for reasons I'll explain next time I'm up in your neck of the woods, I'm hopefully going to have some interesting things to bring back from the other side of the world.

Keep up the awesome work, looking forward to what's coming next!

John

Hey brother! I'm sure there's plenty of good sites for seeing if your recent instagram posts are anything to go by! I'm excited to see what ruby related goodness you have in store! I'm excited to hear all about your travels when you're back on our soil :) Thanks buddy! 

Posted (edited)

So after the initial tooling was finished it was time to look at the half moon and grip sections of the sheath tooling! I did some thinking and contacted my buddy Luke Shearer for some advice on how to go about creating the correct theme for the carvings. I like the carving and motifs to be full of meaning, and so the final idea was to use the half moon shape to act both as the moon itself and bear the name of this seax. The carving on that portion of the sheath reads "I am Silverlight" in Old Norse. From there I wanted the sheath to evoke reflection and the power that lies in the moons ability to reflect and seemingly create this beautiful silver light that has always mesmerized humans. I chose to mirror the top section of the main sheath and write runes backwards in Old Norse, as if they were written and could only be seen in a reflection. Obvious nods to Jake Powning and J.R.R Tolkien as well as the old craftspeople that came long before us! The runes tell who made the seax, the name, and for whom it was made!

IMG_8344.jpg

I really like this shot as it shows the carving in progress, I wanted to find and define the depth quickly on this part of the carving. 

IMG_8345.jpg

And here's the tooling finished! 

IMG_8354.jpg

And the morning after! I cut a small section off a sponge, got some gloves on and went to town with some black water based leather dye! 

Now its time to take those fancy little U shaped pieces of silver and get them to be a shape I like. After a little bit of gentle persuasion with a piece of leather and a soft plastic mallet I was ready to begin drilling. I borrowed a small jewelry bench top drill press from a friend and cleaned it up nicely so I wouldn't get any unsavory oils or dirt onto the sheath while I worked. 

IMG_8375.jpg

I drilled a few holes and the wiped off the chips and bits of leather. It's pretty stressful worrying about whether you'll damage the carving by accident at this point in the game. 

IMG_8389.jpg

I fit the top piece and scribed and drilled the holes, using brass escutcheon pins as my place holder rivets to keep everything perfectly aligned during my work. This was all done before the belt grinder at the new shop was hooked up, so I used the jewelers saw to cut the silver slightly oversized and filed the rest. 

IMG_8395.jpg

Once all the filing and polishing was done I carefully marked where my lines and holes would be and used a carbide tipped scribe to cut my decorative lines in. I began to make paper templates for the ring holders also. 

IMG_8398.jpg

I did the chape the same way, carefully annealed then bent around the tip of the scabbard with some gentle taps.

IMG_8430.jpg

So then calamity hit! I had scoured the entire (virtual) globe for sterling silver rivets but when I finally found them and they came in they were slightly undersized. Just enough to make them buckle with the softest hammering. I went to visit my good friend and fellow forumite  Matt Berry and he advised me that the easiest and best way forward would actually be to cast the rivets and then clean them up. 

IMG_8474.jpg

We had a less than perfect turn out, which isn't surprising when each of them has a stem thats just over a millimeter in diameter. We had 84 successful rivets I believe which was great because I needed 79! A margin of five is plenty of room for error right? :wacko:

IMG_8490.jpg

I did a loooot of careful filing and buffing to clean up each individual rivet head. Matt made a beautiful little riveting tool for supporting the front of the rivet while I finish the back. 

IMG_8498.jpg

In action!

IMG_8494.jpg

Matt is always prepared, and when I contacted him about making the suspension rings I was thinking about for this seax, it turned out he had already carved the waxes and made the molds a few months ago, so it was an easy task! While we had the rivets in the investment getting ready for the casting I spent a day cleaning and polishing the rings as well as making the suspension plates. 

IMG_8476.jpg

With some careful cutting I made a recess for the ring to sit beneath the front plate of the sheath. I have struggled with this detail in the past, but this seems like the most efficient and clean way to make the lines of the piece flow smoothly. 

IMG_8478.jpg

Just before the top plate goes on! You can see the silver strap is flush with the surface of the leather. 

IMG_8479.jpg

I also had to bend the suspension plates into a roll in order to fit the ring through, and in the flattening they relaxed a bit and took some denting, so I used a piece of wood and a file to come back to flat and then polish up again. Here I'm working to remove everything that isn't flat silver. 

IMG_8487.jpg

It was a fairly stressful two days trying to finish everything while not compromising quality, but I think it was pretty successful! Seeing the pieces coming together like I had planned was the icing on the cake, and just before it started getting dark I was able to wax the leather, polish the silver, and call it a day, but not before some quick photos! 

IMG_8497.JPG

Hope you guys enjoy! I'll be updating the thread with better photos when I have a moment to take them. Hope everyone has a great finish to 2018 and an even better 2019!  

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

IMG_8505.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

Edited by Emiliano Carrillo
  • Like 4

Yah buddy !!!........................:o

Pure awesomeness bud.

really elegant knife, thanks for showing.

Epic scabbard-making adventure!  It is worthy of the blade.

That sheath is just as clean and amazing as the seax itself, I admire your patience making all the rivets from scratch, it really pays off in the finished product.

This sheath/scabbard is just spectacular. It looks like you did the tooling with the blade in the scabbard?

What a ride, it's purely magical! I love what's going on with the rings- the solution to the cleanliness of the aesthetic is wonderful. Top notch scabbardry, indeed!

I must have missed something (or some lots of things the last few months), but you're in a new shop now?! When did that happen, and where did you go? Can't wait to get back and come out your way for a spell!

John

Man, if you did that sorta on a whim I would love to see what happens if you plan it!

On 12/31/2018 at 8:27 PM, Clifford Brewer said:

Yah buddy !!!........................:o

Thanks! 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:00 AM, Charles du Preez said:

Pure awesomeness bud.

Thanks Charles :) 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:06 AM, owen bush said:

really elegant knife, thanks for showing.

Thanks Owen! 

On 1/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Epic scabbard-making adventure!  It is worthy of the blade.

I'm glad it all came together like it did! Nice cohesive package! 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:23 AM, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

That sheath is just as clean and amazing as the seax itself, I admire your patience making all the rivets from scratch, it really pays off in the finished product.

Thanks Pieter :) That was an inspired bit of lunacy at the end there, but as these things usually go, the last day was when all the craziness came to a head and then it was over! 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:40 AM, Joshua States said:

This sheath/scabbard is just spectacular. It looks like you did the tooling with the blade in the scabbard?

Thanks Joshua! Yes I did! I like to have the leather supported by the blade, and I'm not tooling too deep so I can't scratch the blade. I leave it to dry with the blade outside of the sheath for about two days after the tooling is done to make sure all the moisture is gone! 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:59 PM, John Page said:

What a ride, it's purely magical! I love what's going on with the rings- the solution to the cleanliness of the aesthetic is wonderful. Top notch scabbardry, indeed!

I must have missed something (or some lots of things the last few months), but you're in a new shop now?! When did that happen, and where did you go? Can't wait to get back and come out your way for a spell!

John

Thanks John! Yeah you remember that place we went right before picking up Luke from the airport? I moved into that shop with my buddy Kamil! You are always welcome brother, the sooner the better :) 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, mross said:

Man, if you did that sorta on a whim I would love to see what happens if you plan it!

This one had a loose plan! The handle is the only thing I really sketched up at the beginning for the client to give the go ahead, everything after was kind of a free form odyssey! I hit some serious creative blocks on the scabbard till I did some more looking historical pieces and was able to chart a course I liked! 

So I managed to get some pro shots of this piece done before it was time to ship it off! Here they are. Shot by a guy named Charley in New Hampshire! I really love the way he shoots knives and swords and he has taken some photos for Zack Jonas, Peter Johnsson, Dakota Slack and a few others that have a very noticeable style. 

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

• Like 1

B)B)

Freeform Odyssey, indeed! Those photos came out great! Looking at the lower side of the twists, that's an awesome illusion of a shadow from the weld line, and I love how the surface texture of the twist holds up to the welding, creating a sort of quasi-wolf's tooth. Neat-o!

And, that's an awesome place you've moved into! I was actually thinking about that very place the other day for some reason, and how much of a fantastic community that's going on there. If I can ever vacate the ocean, I'll try and make it up that way sometime in the later half of March.

Joh