Sign in to follow this  
Denny Graham

5160 Steel.....For a Real Leaf Spring????

Ok, just feel that it's only polite to close this thread out since you guys so graciously offered 

your help.

Got the little Quick-Check bounce tester a couple of days ago. I gathered a group of materials,

including the springs, which were the main subject for starting this thread, and bounced the 

ball off of them.

Polished up a small area on each sample with a scotch bright pad on the angle grinder. Some

4140 pre-hard, several old springs and my new ones, some soft 1018, some O-1 and A-2, a

154 lb forged Anvil, in other words, a pretty good selection of different alloys, all steel of course.

They all seemed to comply pretty close to what the industry standard would be for their makeup 

and condition. The springs all ran around 40 HRC, so, I think I'm gonna be just fine with mine which

were just a tad harder than the old factory springs I had laying around from old trucks and cars.

So....the home test although it's not good enough for a certified part, is just fine and dandy around 

mine or a small home shop and just a little better than hitting it with a file. 

Thanks again,

FIN

Denny Graham

Sandwich, IL  

Thanks for the update, but please don't consider this closed until you give us an update after some driving tests!  

54 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Thanks for the update, but please don't consider this closed until you give us an update after some driving tests!  

I second that!  We are all steel junkies here, it doesn't have to be blade-shaped.

2 hours ago, Denny Graham said:

Ok, just feel that it's only polite to close this thread out

I wanna know more about this car!!! I'm kinda curious about this thing. I'm also curious if the 40hrc was too stiff. Man there is a lot of things I wanna know.