Dan O'Connor

Japanese style Hamon Clay and Anti-Scale

I suppose this qualifies as new work and show and tell.

It is indeed my newest work

If this needs to go somewhere else Alan please move it.

I have played with this over years but about 2 years ago I got serious about it.

I'll not make a sales pitch here but basically it is two products.

A thin, paint-able (brushed or sprayed) clay to prevent scale on all steels-carbon or stainless to 2000 Degrees

A thicker Japanese style clay to aid in creating hamons.

If you want to know more go to the Nuclayer Systems page listed below.

The YouTube channel has a couple of basically promotional videos. More instructional videos in the works.

Thanks for looking.

hamon1.5mb.jpg

Hamon2.jpg

Post heat treat.jpg

16.32.ABC.6mb.jpg

IMG_5573[1].JPG

IMG_5547[1].JPG

Edited by Dan O'Connor

Very cool Dan, nice to see you posting more; it looks like you are busy but it would be great to see more on your Youtube site. Clay looks good.

Very nice! I love hamons!

Dan!  I meant to reply earlier, good to see you back!  

This forum is fine, or feel free to advertise in the tailgating area.  Since I can't see Facebook, what's the story on the 2000 degree antiscale?  That would be great, since the other stuff tends to leave pitting if you go past 1600.  Is it easy to remove after the quench?  That goes for the hamon clay as well.  My last hamon worked well, but the clay (Satanite and powdered charcoal with a little sand, all applied over Keep-Brite anti-scale powder diluted with alcohol) was a bugger to remove in places.  I actually had to grind it off near the tang.

Alan,

The last picture shows the hamon clay after the quench. Most of it pops off in the quench. The residue can be scraped of with the edge of a piece of wood, plastic etc.

Just about anything takes it off. The clay never vitrifies unless you do a for real anneal. (slow cool 50 degrees per hour)

The NoScale pops of clean in oil or water. The very thin layer that comes off is just hard enough not to dissolve in your oil or water tank.

When doing stainless with its longer, higher temperatures and plate quench a white coating remains. Can be scrubbed off with a nylon scrubby and water. A wire wheel whisks it right off.

Was not a target feature but in all cases, carbon or stainless, a surprisingly durable black coating remains on the steel. Some kind of oxide coating I am guessing.

First video is kind of long. Both are promotional pieces but gives oyu the idea.