Sign in to follow this  
Robert D.

A little Disappointed....

I have been working on this one for a couple months now off and on, I have a new baby in the house so my work time is VERY limited. 

That being said, I did finally get some work on this one done. Spent a good portion of this last weekend doing some finish sanding on the handle and shaping of the brass. 

During the hand sanding process, there was no epoxy line at the spacer, once I put the first coat of linseed oil it popped out like a jack in the box... 

Also I am not sure how much I like the Lacewood handle on this, the block had a very cool looking pattern to it, but now that its all shaped out and whatnot its no where near as cool as I expected it to be. 

There are things I really do like about this knife, I got the fit on the ricasso to guard dang near perfect, so that is an improvement on my skills, and I took a lot more time getting little details worked out. I also forged this blade and I really like the forged in distal taper on the blade. But the handle just makes me want to tear the handle off and redo it....

Blade is O1. Handle is Brass, Lacewood and Rosewood.  The goal was a little bird and trout. 

20181001_080044.jpg

20180930_231158.jpg

20181001_080022.jpg

20181001_080032.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think you are being a little too critical.  As someone who isn't biased by your vision of what the knife was going to be, I think it looks very nice.

I've had handle materials that looked great as a block,but the grain just didn't work out well once shaped.  Sometimes the grain doesn't look the same once the shape of the handle comes into play, and sometimes it simply changes once you get below the surface of the block.

A thin black spacer between the wood handle materials helps add definition to the different woods, and also helps camouflage small gule lines that show up :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

I am going to order some spacer material for knives like this for in the future. I have another one done the exact same way that I am needing to finish that shouldnt have this issue.

For both of them, I cut the blocks, added the spacers and glued them up in block form then drilled them and filed the hole to fit the tangs. On this one, the glued up block broke apart at the joint during the fitting process.  I cleaned the mating surfaces flat when I glued up but I still got a line. Had I used my Clear epoxy instead of my white epoxy it probably wouldnt have been a big deal at all, but I figured since it was a hidden tang I could get away with it.... 

Thats what I get for thinking.... 

Posted (edited)

Robert, that thing is so dang ugly and such poor fit and finish, why I'll bet you could tie a porkchop to the handle and the dang dog still wouldn't pick it up!! :o:lol:

Like Brian said that ain't too shabby at all! When you can put a knife out on railing of the deck with the sun popping on it and you don't have to look to see any glaring problems, well...……..!! 

You done all right, nothing not to proud of there!

Learn from what you feel is a mistake and you are two steps ahead on the next one!! Makers are often there own worst critics but, then again that is what pushes you to the next level!

I will tell you something else. When you feel you have done your best. Take a few pictures from different angles and when you can't find a flaw in the pic, your more likely to be doing your best work. Pictures don't lie but, your eye will!! The picture captures what your eye overlooks. I have taken a pic and then sit back and study the pics, and go. Oh no it can't be. Your eye overlooked it but, for some reason when you look at the pic it jumps right out at you!!

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

That's also why I almost always dye my epoxy black.  ;)  It blends better than even clear epoxy.  

Didnt know that Alan.... I will keep that in mind. 

What do you suggest to use to dye it? 

WTF is wrong with that one !!!!!

I thought I was hyper self critical, but  you seem to have me beat !!

That bein said it's a damn good lookin blade............................B)

I have some System 3 black epoxy dye, but india ink or black oil paint works too.  Just takes a drop.

I will give that a try on the next one, Thanks Alan... 

Cliff

My main issue, is the faint line of epoxy you can see between the smaller piece of lacewood and the rosewood, The whole time sanding this and shaping it you couldnt see anything, the moment the BLO hit it though it became obvious.  Honestly I think this is my best piece so far, but just that one little thing irks me because I got so many other things right with it. 

I think it looks very nice. I had a bad experience with what is called  " luann mahogany". It looked nice on the flat block but when I started shaping and contouring it a problem developed. It seems that it has strange grain and every place I broke the flat plain became end grain..when I put  the finish on it, it went ugly in a hurry. Every curve looked dirty. 

5 hours ago, Robert D. said:

What do you suggest to use to dye it? 

When I first started knifemaking I had already been dyeing it! I used epoxy at times in my wood working and I found out that I could dye it with a drop of oil based stain or paint. I have dyed it with the colorant they use in latex paint, India ink, rit dye!! It usually only takes a drop or two at the most!! It is not enough to degrade the strength of the epoxy but it will color it!!

What I use now is Alumilite  dye! https://www.ebay.com/itm/283059421643  I bought just enough to have the basic colors on the color wheel, blue, red, yellow, green and white and  (black which I often use by itself). The white is not a basic color either but allows for lightening a color if it is too dark!! It only takes a drop of these as well! 

I have had similar issues that pop up. Ground a profile, put bevels on, sharpened, honed.. tried it out. Nope this isn't right! Regrind the whole blade to another angle, steeper bevels, regrind the edge, hone. Some have done more than a few times. That is the suck to the learning curve. Experience lets you see the mistakes as they are about to unfold and take immediate action to avoid the faux-pas that are intolerable. 

My all steel handles are no picnic I tell you. From your pictures seems like a fine blade. 

10 hours ago, Robert D. said:

I will give that a try on the next one, Thanks Alan... 

Cliff

My main issue, is the faint line of epoxy you can see between the smaller piece of lacewood and the rosewood, The whole time sanding this and shaping it you couldnt see anything, the moment the BLO hit it though it became obvious.  Honestly I think this is my best piece so far, but just that one little thing irks me because I got so many other things right with it. 

oh boy do i know that feeling. you spend hours and hours getting every last mark, every transition and every little detail right, but theres one tiny little thing, so small that no one else sees it, but to you it might as well be a 3rd arm on your new born child. as has already been said, learn from it and move on. and besides, a 3 armed kid would be kinda unique ;)

I do know the feeling. I have a 7 month old at home, so I get very little work done. But it's not just the limited hours, it's also finding the focus to get the level of quality that you want to achieve. I can't get into the zone, like before, where you are just emerged in a project. Then considering how long it takes to get something done, if it's then not as intended it's really frustrating. 

Nevertheless, it look great in my eyes. And you do admit yourself being pretty pleased with how a lot of it turned out. What also helps is stepping away from it for a little while, so you see it as a whole again, rather then the things that didn't go exactly as planned. 

12 hours ago, C Craft said:

What I use now is Alumilite  dye! https://www.ebay.com/itm/283059421643  I bought just enough to have the basic colors on the color wheel, blue, red, yellow, green and white and  (black which I often use by itself). The white is not a basic color either but allows for lightening a color if it is too dark!! It only takes a drop of these as well! 

I use this as well.  If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, you can buy it off the shelf there.

Bit off-topic, but my mentor recently told me he uses automotive paint tints to add to epoxy, specifically silver when there's a slight imperfection in the fit of the guard/bolster.

16 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Bit off-topic, but my mentor recently told me he uses automotive paint tints to add to epoxy, specifically silver when there's a slight imperfection in the fit of the guard/bolster.

4 hours ago, Robert D. said:

thats not off topic really, thats a brilliant idea. 

im doing this on my current build. using an epoxy that sets with "steel" colour. just a heads up though, only use this when your guard/bolster is steel or silver coloured. ive found matching the epoxy colour to the guard/bolster is the trick, not to the knife. just in my own limited experience of course 

1 hour ago, Ross Vosloo said:

im doing this on my current build. using an epoxy that sets with "steel" colour. just a heads up though, only use this when your guard/bolster is steel or silver coloured. ive found matching the epoxy colour to the guard/bolster is the trick, not to the knife. just in my own limited experience of course 

Know exactly what you mean because I solder my less than perfectly fitted guards :D

Rene is however Swiss, and maybe a perfectionist, so "slight" probably means microscopic in his case :lol:

On a serious note, my mind still boggles at the conditions and the location where he achieves that perfection: middle of nowhere as you drop down from the Khomas Highlands into the Namib Desert......with only occasional generator power.

I like it!!! A little glue line can be frustrating but I would carry it!!!

On 10/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, Brian Dougherty said:

I use this as well.  If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, you can buy it off the shelf there.

What section is it in at hobby lobby? I went there looking for it and had no luck. I asked a lady where it could be and she was clueless. Im in no shape to stroll around the store looking for it so I left and ordered it on Ebay but it would be nice for when I need a color other than black.

It's near all the paints for model kits at my local store.  They have a small section of casting resin stuff right next to the paints.

I looked around the paint section but not by the model kits. I'm going to go back in a few weeks when I'm getting around a little better. Thank you!!!

Ok, I have changed my mind on this one.... 

Lacewood it would seem, needs a VERY high grit finish. And a CA coating process does not hurt. First time doing the CA treatment on a handle, and honestly I LOVE how it finished out on this one, I went from being quite disappointed on this one, to VERY happy with the results with just a bit more work to it and trying something new. with it. 

Now I dont feel bad using this knife as my first attempt at a leather sheath... 

43603034_2161493490784643_783586795693539328_n.jpg

43617997_2161493457451313_3979014645414363136_n.jpg

43645902_2161493537451305_6372893403180433408_n.jpg

43788121_2161493570784635_8316263145664413696_n.jpg

43880397_2161493427451316_5789488444673622016_o.jpg

• Like 2