Sign in to follow this  
DMW

Grinder and VFD Programming

Hi guys,

i just got a 2x72 grinder, 2hp 3 phase motor and Teco L510 vfd. I was just looking for a little help with programming the vfd to work with the motor. I’m just not sure or familiar with a vfd. I got the L510 vfd that uses 220 single phase input and 220 v 3 phase output. I’ve got everything wired and I get power to the motor but I know there are settings that need changed but unsure which ones. Thanks. 

There are VFDs that requires minimum and maximum Hertz setup. 5hz-75hz is good. Beyond 75hz may damage your motor mechanically. Ask your motor company.

The first question is probably "what does the motor rating plate tell you about the motor?" and the second is "what do you want it to do and how do you want to tell it to do it?" 

The motor rating plate should give you a bunch of values that need to go into group 2 of the programming. The values you are likely to have are 02-01, 02-03, 02-04, 02-05, 02-06. If the motor plate gives you any others in an obvious way, put them in. Otherwise leave the settings as the defaults.

The default command source seems to be the keypad. If you have a speed control potentiometer (twiddly knob) on the front, set parameter 00-05 to "1" to enable speed control from it. 

It looks like it should run on the start and stop buttons on the keypad and should go to whatever speed the knob is set to. Once running, adjust the knob to adjust the speed. It looks like the default acceleration and deceleration times are 10 seconds, so there will be a lag if you turn the knob fast.

The drive is environmentally protected to IP20: effectively fingerproof. It is not sealed against dust and metallic grinding dust WILL kill it very quickly unless you take steps to seal the drive. Bear this in mind when you first fire it up: do not get over-enthusiastic, start grinding and cause fireworks. The quickest anyone I know personally has killed a drive this way is around 2 minutes from first switching it on.

You'll then need to decide how you are going to protect the drive and how you are going to control it in whatever protection you come up with (if it's in a box, you won't be able to get at its front panel). You can also decide on the speed range you want.

Some of the remaining parameters will set the drive up for the speed range and command source you decide to use. Many of the others are there to interface with control processes in industrial automation and will not be needed for a grinder with a human operator.

I mount IP20 drives in IP66 enclosures and fit a remote control box on a trailing lead with start and stop buttons, a keyed forward/reverse switch (the key is taken out when running a machine that should not be reversed) and a speed control potentiometer. The box has a 3-phase socket on the front so I can plug in different machines. It's usually as cheap to buy an IP66 drive to begin with, and is much less effort. 

Edited by timgunn

Does the VFD have a NEMA 4X enclosure?   From Timgum's thread above, and he seems to know what he is talking about, you need to put the drive in another room, enclose it in an enclosure (keep in mind that the drive has a fan to help cool the drive.  This will draw the metal grindings into the drive and quickly short out the drive.  If it is not to late I would try to return the drive for a credithate to be so negative about your purchase and hope that you get every thing worked out.

Let me know if I an help you

Thank you all for your great help. Wayne, I do have the vfd in another room. I was able to mount it through the wall behind my grinder. Fortunately it is still very easy to get to, about a 5 foot walk through a doorway. The door closes isolating the vfd from dust. 

I found a helpful video on YouTube about L510 programming.  He programmed it for a lathe but some of the settings he changed really smoothed out my motor and quieted the whine.  I posted it below if anyone is interested.

I have a 90 degree register duct mounted to the bench below my grinder connected to a vacuum hose. I’m hoping that will catch a lot of the dust coming off the grinder. 

agree with @timgunn your biggest killer of drives is dust. of all the ones ive ever sold, only one has come back bust, due to dust because they didnt keep the enclosure closed.

its good that you have it away from dust, but it might kill one of the best things about having a drive, the ability to change your speed on the fly. what we do is mount the drive in a steel enclosure with a ventilating fan and dust filter to allow air but not dust into the unit. you can then mount a double push button on the door of the enclosure for start stop duty and then a simple potentiometer, or a fancier 4-20mA pot for speed control. these should be able to be wired into your drive and a few simple programming changes allow remote control of the unit. of course you could mount these by your grinder and keep the unit in the other room and just run a longer control cable.

hope this may help.

Fortunately my VFD came wired with a remote toggle switch for direction and a speed control.  

I mounted it inside a plastic housing with an improvised air filter.......problem is Summer suddenly arrived and after my last grinding session this got very toasty inside the enclosure....need to mount a fan in there.

My setup is similar to yours. The VFD has fans though. No heat issues so far.

IMG_20180928_161854.jpg