Sign in to follow this  
Ross Vosloo

African skinner

Hi all. So, this knife is the brother to my drop point hunter that I finished the other day. 

Blade is farrier rasp, nice and thin for skinning with hamon. Handle is stainless, african blackwood, stainless, muwanga with brass pin. 

And yes, I realise it has that same blocky appearance that seems to be my signature, but I just find it so comfortable and ergonomic in the hand. It makes it so easy to wield.

20181004_212845.jpg20181004_212909.jpg20181004_212956.jpg20181004_212924.jpg20181004_212938.jpg

thoughts and critiques welcome as always 

I like it!  You have modified the "blockiness" to a sort of curviness that works.  I also like the evidence of edge-testing on the back of your hand. :lol:

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I like it!  You have modified the "blockiness" to a sort of curviness that works.  I also like the evidence of edge-testing on the back of your hand. :lol:

Thanks! If your referring to the divot on my index finger, that's where the stainless shim started spinning whilst I was drilling. Yes yes, I know about clamping down work etc, but you need clamps that fit to do that :D thankfully the callus on my finger tip saved me from any real injury, although I did lose a hard won callus 

Hi Ross

Personally I would work that handle down quite a bit, personal preference, but just looking at it I can tell my dad would love it!  Busy with a knife for him ATM.

I learned something from the comments on your other knife, specifically "colour matching" the hardware....now my eye's wise to it I'd have preferred a SS pin perhaps?

Great hamon B)  

Ok ok... I had to go back and fix it. It actually kept me up last night 

20181005_185050.jpg20181005_185320.jpg20181005_185259.jpg

• Like 1

Version 2 looks smoother and easier to grip, but everyone has their own feel and view................;)

yes, good knife. I have a belief that the trend towards thin handles has gone a little too far (narrow really). I think that knifes should have enough for a solid grip and still shaped to tell you where the edge is aimed without looking. As long as it does that, then a handle is a good handle.

Hamons are just pretty, and I love them for it. Nice little touch. 

6 hours ago, Kevin (The Professor) said:

yes, good knife. I have a belief that the trend towards thin handles has gone a little too far (narrow really).

Especially for those us us with arthritis!  A too-skinny handle can actually hurt to use.  

thanks guys.

so here are the final beauty shots, knife went out to customer this morning.

20181008_070054.jpg

20181008_070112.jpg

20181008_065927.jpg

and here it is with its brother. these two are for the same customer

20181008_070221.jpg