Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

A good belt grinder under 300$ ?

I am having a really hard time finding motivation to File in bevels, so I really want to find a good grinder under 300$ 

Money is the problem for me, funds are very limited.

Any suggestions?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-Belt-Grinder-3-4HP-120-240V-7-3-5A-2x48-2RYN7-/253778729788

There is this....but if you could save a little more you could get an OBM frame with the wheels and source a motor from somewhere. A good example of where to find a motor is like one from an electric pressure washer. But it has to be a nice one not a cheap Chinese one.

Something like this is what I used when I built my 2x72.

8eb790a52D75c42D413e2D8ee02Da12be7e5b0e7b3ccc2.JPG

For a little more money you could get something like this. 

This one is made in Turkey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TR-Maker-Belt-Grinder-2x72-Classice-Silver-Color-5-8-/132656835675

This is made in america.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Grinder-2x72-Complete-Chassis-/252059068108

The problem with grinders without a motor Is that I don't have the skill set to hook up the electric stuff.

A good belt grinder for $300.00?  That does not exist!

Check out the DVDs page and Grinders page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  Depending on your scrap pile, if you are willing to settle for a single speed grinder and if you can find a good used motor you MIGHT be able to do that, then in a few month you are going to want to upgrade to a variable speed grinder and respend money for another motor and a VFD.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne.

Everything costs so much money these days..

Hey dude! You've got an angle grinder dont you? 

https://www.amazon.com/Elitexion-Grinder-Ribbed-Plastic-Thread/dp/B07GGCPMFB/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538962385&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=4.5+pad+back&dpPl=1&dpID=41ezcg5nJfL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Hawk-Zirconia-Grinding-4-5-Inch/dp/B06VVDPFS7/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1538962431&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=4.5+grinding+pad&dpPl=1&dpID=51MM2IYW39L&ref=plSrch

Here are some links to amazon. If you don't have a grinding pad set up yet. You can get really good with these. They come in lots of grits, and move lots of metal fast, but there is NO substitute for hand sanding or filing. They're just part of it. I would not use the Blackhawk pads I gave the link to, but it gives you a visual as to what you're looking for. 

And remember that story about the angle grinder being the most dangerous tool in my shop? Be very careful! Wear your safety gear, no loose clothing, have someone with you, etc. Be careful grinding in corners where it may snag and kick back. It can kill you! 

Hope this might help :)

Yeah I have an angle grinder, but I’m looking for something to grind bevels. The angle grinder is awesome for cutting and shaping the blade though :)

Is there some sort of angle grinder jig for grinding bevels?

12 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Is there some sort of angle grinder jig for grinding bevels?

Tormek

will not get one for under $7-800 add in the attachments then they go $1000 -$1300. If you can find someone wanting to unload an old T4 or T3 (discontinued) that price may be obtainable. Oh, I see a wen and a few other wet grinders here in your desired range. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tormek

44 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Seriously if you desire that style give the 3M backing pad & the Metabo grinding disks a try. You will probably never use anything else. Have used them for decades..they devour material in the 24, 36, 40 grit & leave a flat uniform surface. & in the higher grits, your hand sanding can be little to almost none if follwed with a DA, then buffer.

• Like 1

Tormek for grinding bevels? I have a t-7 and use it to sharpen knives but I would imagine grinding bevels on that thing would be a chore.

1 hour ago, Cody Killgore said:

Tormek for grinding bevels? I have a t-7 and use it to sharpen knives but I would imagine grinding bevels on that thing would be a chore.

perhaps I interpreted this incorrectly

sharpen yes, no blade grinding

9 hours ago, Tim Jackson said:

Seriously if you desire that style give the 3M backing pad & the Metabo grinding disks a try. You will probably never use anything else. Have used them for decades..they devour material in the 24, 36, 40 grit & leave a flat uniform surface. & in the higher grits, your hand sanding can be little to almost none if follwed with a DA, then buffer.

I'll look into the metabo pads. I use the cutting discs, but not the pads. Thanks!

Good tips given for sure!

As for things being so expensive these days, good tools have unfortunately always been expensive.

35 years ago a Wilton Square Wheel belt grinder was already $1000, and it was cheaper than Bader and the alternatives at the time.

You either need to learn to do with out as you save up, make your own with outhitting all the bells and whistles, etc.

• Like 1

The electrical on the power washer is already hooked up and even has the on off switch on the motor. There is no wiring involved.

Conner, there's a thread here on Bladesmithsforum where Tomas Rucker does a WIP on a big bowie using a hand held angle grinder (the blade is held by a welder's magnet in a vise) The video links are dead, but there are a couple of photos. Tomas did some beautiful work with very little equipment.

here's the page https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/19492-big-bowie-wip/

Saludos

J

JDWARE KNIVES

Check out these videos.

Edited by Doug Adams

That jig looks great! I will have to build that!

Just like airplanes and elevators, nothing has to be "good," it just has to be "good enough." My Craftsman 2x42 grinder has given me many good years of service. It's too fast and the belts wear quickly and it gets bogged down with too much pressure, but it'll do the job if you're patient and are willing to do some file work to clean up. I don't think they make those anymore, but Dayton has one that looks about the same.

I know some makers that have done some really great knives with one of these and some hand sanding.

AJ, correct, much work can be done with tools that have limitations, whether that’s a belt sander or disc grinder.Not having one, or the funds for one, shouldn’t stop a person from  pursuing this homie/craft. There are many ways to skin a cat and get equivalent results, some take more money, others more skill, and others more time and perseverance.

At the same time folks should learn what their extra money will get them, and it is a lot (although not a pre requisite to doing quality work).

A true belt grinder, not belt sander, will have a minimum true 3/4 HP motor, 1-2 HP being best, and I mean not using the new fangled  method of rating - motors at twice their actual power and duty cycle.

A belt grinder HOGS off metal when needed to, something a belt sander cannot. If you have limited shop time for your hobbies, or it’s done to pay the bills, one needs that extra oomph. Of course as you spend more on sanders or grinders you get other things, more stable bases and work rests, better platens, better belt tracking assemblies.

• Like 1