Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

Little integral random damascus utility kitchen knife

Hey guys!  I finally squeezed a blade out this weekend. I have the handle material coming this week and it will be in its new home soon after. It's an 11 layer random pattern damascus . I forged it on the bias and took a few heavy blows with a straight peen hammer to give some distortion within the pattern. The rest of the billet was twisted, but since this portion was clamped in the vice it only has evidence of twisting at the bolster. A small blade like this is a great way to use the unminupulated portion I would say. 

The handle is some really pretty and bold maple burl. I think the character should match the steel pretty well. 

Critiques are desired and welcomed as I have no real idea as to what I was doing as far as design goes. I just forged it to the shape I had in mind. It's going to a friend's mother (who loves to cook). 

Thanks! 

20181005_151115.jpg20181007_143620.jpg20181007_143616.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good so far!  Integral bolsters are a pain, aren't they?

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

If I said it was a pain it might be an understatement! It was a pain to forge, grind, and sand. It's hard to say if the handle will mate up with it perfectly on the first go... I doubt it, but I'm keeping optimistic. 

Looks great Zeb.  I love the way that low layer Damascus patterns just seem to pop out at you.

• Like 1

Lookin good !!...............B)

• Like 1

looks awesome. im a sucker for low layer count random pattern. 

• Like 1

I'm happy to say I'm done with this little blade. I was at first concerned about knuckle clearance with a cutting board, however after a word with the finitiob master I was able to grind a little belly out of the rear of the blade to increase the angle and I also ground some more handle away. There isn't a ton of room, but it's definitely a usable blade. 

Fit and finish is mediocre at best, but I'm willing to let it slide in case the new owner requires a modification. I think the blade would be more comfortable on a board without the swell at the back, but for other tasks I think it will be more comfortable as is.

Let me know what you think! 

20181016_213907.jpg

20181016_214039.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That handle is awesome along with the blade...well done!!!

• Like 1

It's purty................................B)

• Like 1

Nicely done! Integrals look harder in every step of the making. I hope you had fun!

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

10 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Nicely done! Integrals look harder in every step of the making. I hope you had fun!

Thanks! It was fun enough that I'll make some more after I get a review from the chef. 

Looks great Zeb!

• Like 1