Alex Middleton

Jarrah finishing

Posted (edited)

Has anyone had any experience working with Jarrah?  I'm curious as to what type of finish it requires.  Given how dense it is, I'm half thinking that it wouldn't require any kind of sealant at all.  Thoughts?

Edited by Alex Middleton

I've been playing around with this stuff for the last couple of days.  Today, just for shits and grins, I sanded a piece up to 600 grit and hit it on the buffer.  It took a beautiful shine!  All of the swirls in the grain really pop.  I'm really glad I picked this piece up.  I'm going to have to go back to Woodcraft and see if i can find some more.

Didnt think of it.  I took the piece I was working with and used it on a handle for a knife I'm working on.  If I get time tomorrow I'll buff up another piece and take a pic.

• Like 1

No pic and it never happened.................;):D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

No pic and it never happened.................;):D

Challenge accepted!:D:lol:

As always, my phone camera sucks.  You'll have to take my word that it looks better in person.

20181014_133529.jpg

I think I'm going to play around a little with a superglue finish and see if that will step it up another notch.

• Like 1

Interesting color and structure.........................B)

There's some very fine swirls within the grain that don't show up on my crappy picture.  It's actually what caught my eye and made me want to try it out.  I paired it up with some african blackwood on a handle and I'm loving the combination.