I just bought mine and set it up this weekend. 

I was in the same boat, wanted a Grinder I could setup and use right out of the box.  

I have only played with it slightly since getting it assembled, but the quick use of it I have done proves its a MASSIVE step up from my 1x30 Harbor Freight grinder I have used the past 3 years, so I am happy with mine. 

39 minutes ago, Kreg said:

I am super excited to be able to run a 24 grit belt. My leaf spring blades take forever with my 2x 24 and 36 grit.

You may find you have no need for 24 grit.  The speed and power of a 2x72 will turn a leaf spring into dust with even a 60 grit in no time.

I still rough grind with 36-40 grit ceramics, but I have heard stories of such coarse belts leaving tell-tale signs that show up after polishing.  I haven't had it happen to me, but there have been some posts on here of blades that were perfectly hand polished, and then had ghosts of coarse grit grinding lines show up after etching.  Presumably because of localized work hardening, or some other metallurgical change caused by the aggressive belts.

Either way, congrats and enjoy the new grinder :) 

Just remember it will take your knuckles to the bone even faster than it removes steel!

• Like 1

When I bought my belts for mine, I decided I wanted to go with 60 grit to start for my hogging belts. 

Having used the 40g 1x30's, and hating how long it took to get all the 40g scratches out, I figured I would skip that process on my new grinder since it would still save time compared to my old grinder. 

I am going to be grinding out some bevels on some smaller folder blades this week with it, working with annealed 1/8th W2 stock, I am hoping to be able to crank all 4 blades out in one evening, as long as I can do that the investment was worth it because I would burn through 2 belts and about 2-3 hours per blade with my old grinder. 

I'll would chime in to remind you that one of the things people mention about the Grizzly is that it only has one speed-very fast. With that kind of speed and 72" of helter going around you really may not need the coarser belts, especially if you buy ceramics. Keep a can of water handy for cooling the blades.

To Brian's point about "ghost marks" I can see the possibility and to me it helps justify the practice of multiple heat thermal cycles before quenching anything done to the steel below decalescence temp by grinding should be erased by a couple of trips up to decalescence.

Update on use... 

As Vern states, the Griz only runs at one speed, In my inexperience with how fast a 60 grit belt on a Grizzly moves, I ended up grinding about 2/3rd of an inch of a smaller blade I was working on the other night, so it takes some getting used too. 

Probably going to continue to do my cleanup sanding by hand till I get the hang of mine, but man does it profile a blade ...

• Like 1