Sign in to follow this  
Wes Detrick

Blade West Pictures (Pic heavy)

Posted (edited)

I spent a day at Blade West in Portland, specifically Saturday.  It was a great show, and I got to talk to lots of knife makers, some I knew, and some I just met.  All were great.  

At one point in the show I was manning a table for a friend, and I saw a gentleman walking around in a kilt.  Hanging on his hip was a short sword that looked incredibly familiar.  I called to him, and asked if Petr Florianak had made it.  His face lit up and he came over to the table, unsheathed it, and let me handle it.  It was the first time I had seen Petr's work in person, and let me tell you, pictures don't do it justice.  The man's name was Tim, and he mentioned that the short sword was one of Petr's "Dale" series blades.  Here is the post about it and below is it in person.  It was a treat getting to hold it.

Photo Oct 06, 11 44 03 AM.jpg

Photo Oct 06, 11 38 13 AM.jpg

Photo Oct 06, 11 38 15 AM.jpg

The next picture is Bruce Bump MS.  If you don't know that name, then shame on you.  I had never met him before, but he was super nice, and when I asked if I could take a picture, he put one of his amazing daggers in my hand and took a picture with me.  

Photo Oct 06, 3 28 54 PM.jpg

This is a sword of Bruce's that I got to pick up.  Amazing.  

Photo Oct 06, 3 31 18 PM.jpg

sword.jpg

Next is one of my favorite makers in forever, and it was awesome to stand and talk to him for 20 minutes about knife making and hamons.  Just an awesome guy, Aaron Wilbur MS of Wilbur Forge.  That gigantic damascus bowie won two awards at the show.  It was easy to see why when holding it.

Photo Oct 06, 3 18 47 PM.jpg

Next is Jeremy Spake, who frequents this forum sometimes.  Jeremy is super cool and funny.  His work is some of the cleanest you will ever see.  The first picture I took, his eyes were closed and his mouth was open, but I promised not to post that :)

Photo Oct 06, 4 21 56 PM.jpg

Next, we have James Helm, who everyone should know since he posts here regularly.  Super nice guy and we had a discussion about how much I hate "tactical" knives but not his since they are actually practical and well made.  

Photo Oct 06, 3 36 26 PM.jpg

After that is David Lisch MS.  David is super nice, and an amazing knife maker.  I took my first knifemaking and blacksmithing classes with him years ago.

Photo Oct 06, 3 42 08 PM.jpg

Next are the Sobral brothers from Argentina.  They run CAS Knives. On the left is Marcelo Sobral and on the right is Claudio Sobral.  If you haven't seen the knives they make, please do yourself a favor and look.  The work they do is amazing.  And they perhaps the nicest people at the show, incredibly humble and thankful.  

Photo Oct 06, 2 27 35 PM.jpg

After that is Andrew Meers MS.  I think he is youngest MS ever for the ABS.  It is easy to see why.  He was happy to chat it up for as long as you cared to stand there.  Super nice.  He includes lots of inlay and Japanese metal work in his knives.  

Photo Oct 06, 2 29 46 PM.jpg

Next is a good friend of mine, the table I watched for a while.  I spend a decent amount of time in his shop.  David Tuthill (on the right) of Firehorse Forge is a great teacher and a great knife maker.  His chef knives on the table were beautiful.  He also make awesome axes, two of which you can see.

Photo Oct 06, 3 16 35 PM.jpg

After that is another great friend of mine, Bhakti Sa.  He trained under David Lisch, and his knvies reflect that excellence.  Bhakti makes gorgeous chef knives.

Photo Oct 06, 3 18 21 PM.jpg

Next, is Ted Thomson from Hooligan Kustoms.  He won an episode of Forged in Fire and is a great guy.  His table was next to my buddies, so I talked with him for a bit.  His knives are great.

Photo Oct 06, 3 47 17 PM.jpg

And last but not least is Ian Rogers of Haburn Knives.  Some of the best chef knives in the show.  His work was amazing.  Look them up.

Photo Oct 06, 3 21 45 PM.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick

Some familiar faces there, glad you got to hang out! If I had known you'd be there I would have felt worse about not making it out! 

I've had the good fortune of running into Petrs work a few times 'in the wild' it leaves you speechless doesn't it?

I was there Friday and Saturday. It was pretty cool, lots of nice people to talk to!

Well, shoot! I was there all day Friday and Saturday. Too bad we missed each other. 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:52 PM, Emiliano Carrillo said:

Some familiar faces there, glad you got to hang out! If I had known you'd be there I would have felt worse about not making it out! 

I've had the good fortune of running into Petrs work a few times 'in the wild' it leaves you speechless doesn't it?

Ya dude, it was great.  I am going to do my best to have enough work to have a table next year.  At least that is the plan.  It would be totally sick if you could make it out.  We will have a beer one of these days.

On 10/8/2018 at 3:58 PM, Conner Michaux said:

I was there Friday and Saturday. It was pretty cool, lots of nice people to talk to!

Oh ya, lots of great people. If you ever see me, please feel free to stop and talk.  I have the braided beard, and wear a black hat with my logo.

23 hours ago, jheinen said:

Well, shoot! I was there all day Friday and Saturday. Too bad we missed each other. 

Ya man, that is lame.  I am sure that we passed by each other.  Oh well, we will meet in person one day soon