I am trying to get these knives finished before the state fair. I am done with the puukko except for the sheath, and I am on the last steps of finishing the seax.

The puukko is W2 with an aluminum honeycomb/resin handle and an aluminum bolster to go with it.

bltXQ8P.jpgzxXQfbg.jpghKjPWF1.jpgDc7YLGT.jpg

T8E6405.jpgvkIhGUH.jpgN5RZSDV.jpg

Making the nut for the seax has been difficult as I have never done it before. I copper brazed some all thread onto the end of the tang and drilled a counter bore to accommodate the nut. The handle is stabilized hackberry and water buffalo horn. I am aiming to keep the horn in the middle of the handle raised so it is more grippy. I have seen similar handles on kukris.

• Like 1

That big one looks familiar somehow! :D The honeycomb handle is cool idea.  If you wanted to, you could get pretty creative with color schemes and designs.  Did you do the resin yourself, or purchase it already done?

• Like 1

I not usually a fan of the "funky material cast in resin" handle materials, but that aluminum honeycomb material is really doing it for me!

Good luck with the fair :)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Here's hoping that you state fair goes off ok with hurricane Michael heading your way.  The handle on the puuko looks interesting, by the way.

Doug

I hope so too, the hurricane will hit a bit earlier than expected, so that's good. 

11 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

That big one looks familiar somehow! :D The honeycomb handle is cool idea.  If you wanted to, you could get pretty creative with color schemes and designs.  Did you do the resin yourself, or purchase it already done?

Haha! looks like I got a bit jealous, so I had to make myself a bigger one. The blade profile reminds me of a sporty boat. The handle block came for free with a purchase of another. They were having problems with the resin popping off of the aluminum in small places, but I haven't had any problems. The handle block that I ordered is shredded carbon fiber suspended in transparent blue resin.

10 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I not usually a fan of the "funky material cast in resin" handle materials, but that aluminum honeycomb material is really doing it for me!

Good luck with the fair :)

Yeah, this handle material is done really well. Rather than the resin just suspending some random thing, the resin fills the pattern and becomes part of it.