Blaine Whitney

Assault Blower 5000

I think in California if its flat black and mean looking it has to be labeled "Assault" ;)

With a new forge on the way I couldn't keep using my wifes blow dryer. So I used the vacuum.

Ammo can, hole saw, shim up and glue motor to hole. Vac. accessory hose out of the side. Wire to dimmer switch. Run switch and cord out of the ammo can.

This supplies anything from a gentle puff to a full on wind storm.

A bad ass forge deserves a bad ass air supply.

Did I mention I love JB Weld and Silicone Glue?

BL1.jpg

BL2.jpg

BL3.jpg

Edited by Blaine Whitney

:ylsuper: cool,I have an ammo can and this seems like a good use for it. How loud does it run?

I'll never have this thing up to Full Afterburner....with the dimmer switch it can run real quiet.

Very cool! Small diameter flexible ducting (that stuff that's like a slinky with thick aluminum foil between the coils) is good too if you need something a bit more heat resistant than the plactic vac hose.

I think in California if its flat black and mean looking it has to be labeled "Assault"  ;)

With a new forge on the way I couldn't keep using my wifes blow dryer. So I used the vacuum.

Ammo can, hole saw, shim up and glue motor to hole. Vac. accessory hose out of the side. Wire to dimmer switch. Run switch and cord out of the ammo can.

This supplies anything from a gentle puff to a full on wind storm.

A bad ass forge deserves a bad ass air supply.

Did I mention I love JB Weld and Silicone Glue?

32282[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it an assault blower. Here in california if you call it an assault anything, its automaticaly illegal. Expect a visit from the blower police. They are on their way as we speak.

Nice job.

Tony G

That could be percieved as a utility box by some LEO's. You could label it "Utility" and get by...depending on the officer, his mood, or whether he already has one in his collection.

Is your dimmer switch for a light or for a fan? I just tried to use one for a fan and could only get one speed to work. I'm not very mechanically gifted :banghead:

first try a new dimmer if that doesnt help (the damd things seem to blow if you think about it to hard) then the moter you are trying to control might not be able to run at other speeds i cant remember wich moters cant be speed controled but i think it has to do with there power curve and having like no power at lower speeds hope this helps

Let's see, no pistol grip, no folding stock, no bayonet, no projectiles over .60 cal, no supressor. I think you're ok with it. Besides, I outrank any patrol guys that might show up. I say we crank it up and show no fear. Bring it on the 15th.

Edited by Tim Crocker

Assault Blower, no. .... Call it a "Tactical Assault Blower" (Short: TAB).

(well to complete your TAB you need to give the tube a camo-paint job.... in 3-colour desert tan).

anyways, about 8 years ago I assambled something very similiar for my first coal forge :) although no ammo-box was used (I welded up a box) but the rest of the design was verry simliar, including the use of silicone... and dimmer.

here's a pic.

coalforge1.jpg

One thing you might want to add: Some sort of filter or at least some small "wire-mesh-stuff"... mount that in front of the air-intake opening...

on full power that thing will create quite a bit of suction...

(at first I didn't have any filter mounted... but believe me it will save your blower :blink: )

cheers

daniel

Got the dimmer switch changed out. I had a "Fan Control" switch instead of a "Dimmer" :banghead: . This thing will be a lot better than my wife's old 2 speed hair dryer :D Thanks for sharing it :notworthy: