Fetter Lane Sword No2

This is a collaboration between Rob Miller of Castle Keep Swords on the Isle of Skye and myself. This is the 2nd one of these blades I have made for him. It has a 7 bar core of 14 layers in each bar and a 900 + layered edge. I supplied the sword blade as a forged to shape blank about 5 - 6mm thick.

Rob did all the grinding, hilt work, fittings, scabbard and leather work to an exceptional standard.

IMG_3228.JPGIMG_3237.JPGIMG_3239.JPGIMG_3241.JPGIMG_3242.JPGIMG_3243.JPGtop scabbard.jpg

IMG_3230.JPG

• Like 3

Holy crap, Mick!  :blink:  The blade is magnificent (no surprise being yours!), but the fittings...  Considering all we have of the Fetter Lane sword is the pommel, that is incredible!  We need Rob on the forum!  And you need to post more too, I've missed your stuff!  I have GOT to invent the teleport machine, there are beers to be shared amongst us.  B)

• Like 1

If Rob would supply a WIP of one of those hilts, I can't even calculate the value it would provide to all of us who are completely awestruck by the detail in that piece of amazing art. My sentiments as well are... HOW???

Unbelievable craftsmanship in this piece, as one stated, truly fit for a king! I am awestruck by its beauty!

I can only imagine in days of old, the king being presented with such a piece, or more so, a lesser lord or warrior obtaining such a thing of beauty from a battlefield. 

Is that a design you made up or is it a historically accurate piece?

if so what is the history of that design?

Holy hell!  That is truly amazing and inspirational work.  I am very grateful that people you guys recreate these swords, it is almost living history.  I love it.

8 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Is that a design you made up or is it a historically accurate piece?

if so what is the history of that design?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=92019&partId=1&images=true

A few work in progress photos of the pattern welding.

The first is a lay up of how the bars will match,7-bar.jpg

Now welded up with the edge as well,

all-welded.jpg

This is a polished and etched spare piece with a view of the cross section through the blade,

fetter-2-bar.jpgfetter-2.jpg 

• Like 1