JASON VOLKERT

New member/ New anvil/ Info please

Hey everybody.

I've been browsing this forum for a while and there seems to be a great bunch of people on this forum compared to other forums I've checked out. So I figured I interduce myself.

I've been blacksmithing for a while now and just recently got into making blades. And you guys make some beautiful blades on here. I started out with the old railroad track for anvil. Recently I got real lucky and acquired a real nice anvil on Craigslist and it was only a couple towns away from me. Any way I wanted to see if anybody new anything about it like maybe what year it was made about and what kind of material it might be made of. I think it is wrought iron with a steel plate but I really have no clue. the guy I got it from wasn't even a blacksmith and new nothing about except that it was in his basement forever. I only have 1 pic now but I could post more tomorrow if anybody would like to see more. All I know is that it is about 150lb, I can make out a H and a B on it so I'm guessing its a Hay Budden, it has a 1inch hardy hole, 2 pritchel holes, and it has only a step on the one side of the anvil and not the other . Any help would be great.

Thanks Jason

Hay budden anvil_opt.jpg

Sure looks like a hay budden to me. The 2 pritchel holes indicates a farrier pattern. 

Welcome aboard!!!

Looks like my Hay Budden, check out these threads. There is a lot of good info there. Geoff Keyes and Alan Longmire are the anvil gurus!!

I don't know how I got to be the anvil guru, but now I need  the T shirt.

g

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I don't know how I got to be the anvil guru, but now I need  the T shirt.

g

Me too! :D

Might also be a Trenton.  The name will be stamped on the side along with the weight in pounds.  There will be a serial number stamped on the foot under the horn.  Give us the name and the number and we can provide the date and the material, since post-1916 Hay-Buddens are all-steel anvils.

• Like 1

OK so never say I don't deliver. Here is you guys t-shirt!!Untitled.png

Geoff, I tried to get yours in tie dye but the words kept getting lost in the tie dye! :lol:

Edited by C Craft
  • Haha 2