Sign in to follow this  
Tim Crocker

Del Rosa Tribe Get Together

October 15th at my place 7:00 P.M. for the monthly full moon get together. Food, fire and friends. Come to teach or learn, or just eat and talk. RSVP by email for directions. This month we will discuss common mistakes and start on some cable damascus. Other topics by request. Wives are welcome, but it's not a safe environment for kids due to forges and hammering. Bring safety equipment and whatever tools you like.

I'll be there!

Start your own group Flage. That's what I did, it's a kick! I have knife makers, traditional blacksmiths, jewelers, and just a few that are only interested in knives and aren't makers showing up this month. We have a barbeque first and then get to business. I'm trying to progress and help people advance their skill level with every meeting. If someone new shows up, one or more of the smiths will go off to the side and show some of the basics. The first meeting wasn't perfect but we all had a good time.

Arrrgh! I can't make it to this one. Bummer! And Blaine, and cable damascus on top. Double bummer! :banghead:

Any plan of a Del Rosa tribe pilgrimage to the tribal elders in Tucson sometime in the future? :rolleyes: :notworthy:

And how about those funny hats (maybe: http://www.clipartgallery.com/holidays/cin...o/sombrero.jpg) and secret handshakes?

NT Sleep'n Fox Vulp

I'm sorry to hear you can't make it Michael. I hope weather will permit for next months get together.

Blaine and I went to Tai's a couple of months ago. I'm throwng around the idea of a trip up to Dean McKays neck of the woods and I wouldn't mind seeing Bennet's thermit first hand. Maybe next spring. Maybe I oughta ask if they'll even let me come up, haha.

The wife likes Tucson so much she is already talking about going back, and she's up for a trip up north too. The travel trailer is just itchin to go.

Tai lives about 4 1/2 hours away from me, Blaine lives about 2 hours away, Michael lives 2 or 3 hours away. I think I can safely say for us all the drive is worth it. The exchange of info, techniques, and the memories are great. Don't let a little disatance keep y'all away from each other. ;)

....of course GAS PRICES SUCK!!!

You guys are KILLING me!

I have a job interview in Tucson on Tues. I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get it...Seems like such a great area to live in.

Happy hammerin' guys,

Andy

I'd be glad to have you over Rik. Andrew, talk to Tai and see if he is having a full moon party this month. He is in north Tucson.

Well the clouds made it a full overcast party but we still had a good time. Blaine showed up in a kilt, combat boots and a cowboy hat. I'm not really sure where he was coming from with it all, but it worked. His hammering really flowed. Tony Guarnera brought some nice blades to share.

Slow cooked BBQ tri tip and all the fixins before we started hammering.

We worked on some cable damascus with a small charcoal forge. At about 10:00 pm the wind kicked up because of the incoming storm and we had to shut down. A few of the guys had a long drive so we didn't mind.

I can now personally vouch for Blaine's Assault Blower 5000. It had alot more power than we needed and functioned perfectly.

DSCF0010.jpg

Blaine giving some cable "what for"

DSCF0011.jpg

Phil Wood, Blaine whitney, and Tony Guarnera

DSCF0015.jpg

Steve B. a stock removal maker in town from Oahu, Hawaii

DSCF0016.jpg

Ralph N. a jeweler who suffers from a significant back disability. He was still able to participate with a few minutes of low temp finish work. It goes to show anyone can enjoy bladesmithing.

Edited by Tim Crocker

Tim/All,

Great time man! My first time beating on cable! Kilts are my most comfortable garments...Yes I became keenly aware of the wind too. ;) Yes I have to be aware of how I sit in company. I know what the ladies go through when riding up escalators. Wear one to a club.....and everyone else is just wearin' pants.

We quit forging at a good time. No reason to treat the fine citizens of Crestline, Big Bear and San Bernardino to another FIRESTORM.

Good Chow, good time, good folks. Thanks!

Well there's always next month. Next month we will continue on the cable damascus and cover leather and kydex sheath making. December will be skipped and we will pick up again in January.

And as for your link - A tactical leather kilt with hammer loop. Thats all he needs.

Edited by Tim Crocker

Looks like a fun time. I'll have to try and make it over some full moon. :)

Whoa Tai, we don't let just anyone in. Maybe after I review your resume and you pass a few tests. We have our standards ya know. Hahahahaha

Kidding of course. It would be an honor to have you out.

All makers are always welcome. Even if you are not a maker and just want to see what it is all about c'mon over.

Hell,

I'll be back just for the food.

Tim, "New" forge works great. Givin' that leaf spring a little "Who's yer daddy".

Thanks for the instruction and help.

I'm throwng around the idea of a trip up to Dean McKays neck of the woods and I wouldn't mind seeing Bennet's thermit first hand. Maybe next spring. Maybe I oughta ask if they'll even let me come up, haha

You're welcome any time, Snort'n Pig Crocker :D

Bring Blaine too, but he will have to wear his nomex kilt for the thermit though :P

I ROCK!

I'm throwng around the idea of  a trip up to Dean McKays neck of the woods and I wouldn't mind seeing Bennet's thermit first hand. Maybe next spring. Maybe I oughta ask if they'll even let me come up, haha.

Looking forward to it Tim!

I should have the new tribal smithy up in the spring, maybe you should come up and help christen it.

Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths of the world Unite! :ylsuper:

Spring it is then. I'll email you guys so I can get set with my vacation time with my "other" job.

It took alot of coordination to keep it hidden from you. I still can't believe you fell for the old "move out of California" trick.

But if you ever come back, we get together in the middle of the month. I try to teach a little and let anyone who wants to step in, share what they know. I try to get a couple of jewelers here and some traditional blacksmiths. I was trying to do one every month but it looks like I'm going to have to spread them out every two or three months. I try to keep the get together's posted on this forum.

My goal is to advance the teaching to the point to where we are regularly forging and making damascus along with some smelts. I would also like to help anyone new to the craft. I can't say every one has gone smooth or was completely educational, but I do what I can to advance the craft. If nothing else, the food is always good.

I can verify. The Tri-Tip was great. I never beat on cable. I learned and met some great folks. Met Tims Fire bug. explosive loving childhood friend. My kind of folks.