Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

Faux sheer steel

Well, here it is. I only have a tiny amount of steel on the edge, I think because I forged it so close to shape, but it's there. Now to see if it hardens. If I did this style blade again, I would define the spine to tang area before forging in the bevel so that the tang would be centered once I forged the bevel in. 20181028_183239.jpg20181028_183234.jpg

Here's the handle... Figure I'll polish up the ol' carving skills. 

Critique is valued as always. I'm trying to do it justice. 20181028_210620.jpg

This is awesome.  Cant wait to see the handle.

• Like 1

Nice! I always forge the step from spine to tang first, then bevel, then the step from edge to tang. That makes it the easiest to get the tang in the center. 

• Like 1

P.s. I've also found that even with wrought, you do get quite a bit of carbon migration from the edge into the wrought. On the smallest knives, pretty much all of the wrought hardened along with the edge. 

• Like 1

Just an update... It worked!!!! Hardened up good. Now to make a ton more of this "sheer steel" 

20181102_170608.jpg

20181102_170103.jpg

20181102_170628.jpg

20181102_170116.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty close to the real stuff!  Just remember to spell it "shear."  ;)

14 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looks pretty close to the real stuff!  Just remember to spell it "shear."  ;)

:lol: I do good just to pronounce things right!

Hey, I have a question that I should know but don't ... Is 350° the lowest temperature that you can temper at? This stuff skated a file, but I know its bound to be fairly soft. Would hate to over temper it. 

You can temper as low as you want, but I think it doesn't really do a lot until 325 or so.  That's the thing about homemade steel, everything is seat-of-the-pants. The great thing is, once you figure out how to play with it, you can figure out how to work almost any non-stainless alloy.  Especially when you get up to smelting your own.  Things will get interesting fast!

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'm positive that at one point or another I'll be smelting my own. I'll try it again this year before the ground freezes up too bad. I think I'll just make a furnace out of clay. 

I guess I'll need to make some charcoal first. 

Looking great Zeb! It's making my hands itch to grab the hammer and start forging again. One of these days, when I can spare the time... :)

• Like 1

20181104_202319.jpg20181104_202322.jpg20181104_202325.jpg

Well, here's the hickory handle all carved up. I got the idea of the antler part from a post on here by Emiliano Carrillo. Thanks for the inspiration man! 

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 2

Looks awesome 

• Like 1

One thing I never had the the patients for was carving. I tip my hat to you guys that do it.

8 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

One thing I never had the the patients for was carving. I tip my hat to you guys that do it.

The secret to success is a strong background in drawing and a little  patience as you said. It didn't take too long though. I hogged most of the wood out with the Dremel and then refined it all with hand chiseles. I was actually hanging out with my buddy while he was changing the oil in his truck. I had the drawing on the knife and the rough Dremel work done by the time he had the oil changed. Finished it up later last night. I bet it only took 3 hours total. And that's including the burning with a candle (well I used a lighter this time) to get the fuzzies off and sanding the high spots for contrast. 

It passes the time, I'll probably carve the rear of the handle just because. I guess at some point I'll sell this thing... If anyone will even want it.

It's going down!

Here are some picks of the metal we started with and the bar forged from it. Wrought iron wagon tire, and w2. I haven't thought of a use for the 1075 yet, but it may come in handy. 

The goal is to make a big beautiful langsax. I got my buddy to swing a sledge for a while, and I hammered for a while on it too. I got the burnt up motor on the power hammer to do a little work as well. We got the billet for the twisted core bars almost ready to be twisted. Next I'll make the "shear steel" for the edge and do a san mai just like the previous blade. 

So the composition from the spine to edge will be: wrought, twisted bar, twisted bar, san mai. 

20181110_160631.jpg

20181110_120937.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper

This is going to be a good one. I can't wait to see what you do here.  

• Like 1