Sign in to follow this  
Jason McEntee

Took The Summer Off

This summer, I set aside the belt grinder, and picked up the air ratchet. I had taken a long look at my 1988 Toyota 4Runner, and realized I had been neglecting my baby. I've kept it up mechanically 100%, but I let the body and paint deteriorate. As the 1st gen 4Runners are becoming more and more collectable, and mine being the best vehicle I've ever owned, I decided to begin restoring her.

I went from peeling paint on all body panels, the black shell-top weathered down to bare white fiberglass, banged up front & rear bumpers, and rusted wiper arms and wheels, to what you see below. Some minor interior work will be next.

I'm thrilled with how she's looking now, and with the hardest part out of the way, I hope to get back on the grinder soon.

1988 Toyota 4Runner Dlx

tAKVyDW.jpg

Ob5in89.jpg

mRxTXSc.jpg

• Like 5

Whoa dude! Nice job on that. Time to take her out hunting, climbing, or just cruising.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Whoa dude! Nice job on that. Time to take her out hunting, climbing, or just cruising.

Thanks Josh. The second two photos were taken just a month after the paint job, at good old Pyramid Lake in the Nevada high desert. I'd say her tough wheeling days are over; I'm too paranoid about scuffing her up now, lol. I'll still make my annual runs to the high desert, but no rock crawling. We'll refer to her now as an "off-road capable street-cruiser." ;)

Edited by Jason McEntee
Bad grammar, lol
  • Like 1

Now she's finished...the exterior at least. I was waiting for my new license plates, took 12 weeks.

IkA7goF.jpg