Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Bowie knife

This blade was given to me from my dad's friend. His dad made 2 of them back in the 60's out of leaf spring. Neither one was ever hardened and only one ended up with a handle. The one with the handle had some massive rolling on the edge from chopping but this one only had minor Nick's out of the edge from being tossed around and other stuff banging it around. So the last time I had the forge running I heat treated it and even with a sharpened edge I was able to heat treat it without any problems.

One thing I dont like about it is the clip point has a kinda trailing point to it and I might bring the point down and more in line with the center of the handle. Any ideas how i should finish this off?

The scales are ebony, 5/32 stainless pins, black dye for the epoxy.

Resized_20181022_082417.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

The clipped point on that is a particular stylistic choice and you could do some grinding to bring it down some, but that will also shorten the total length a tad. Here is a lousy attempt to draw what I mean over the photo. You could also reduce that upward hump just behind the clip, but the blade would probably get even shorter. When I start thinking of reshaping a blade, I get the face pretty clean and somewhat shiny. Then I grab a black Sharpie pen and start to black out what I think should be removed. Lay it down on the floor and look at it from a slight distance. This gives a clearer perspective on what the new shape would look like. (having a black piece of paper, cloth, backpack, whatever you can find, under it helps a lot)

InkedJeremy's Bowie_LI.jpg

It occurs to me that the two holes forward of the handle are meant to pin a guard to the blade. If it were me, I would match that material with the pins.

Edited by Joshua States

Thank you Joshua. I like the sharpie idea. Helps get a better visual before making any permanent mistakes. I will try to get the other blade and see what he did for the handle and guard. If I get the other blade I will post a couple pictures of it.

After a couple quick measurements I think I can make a guard that will slide over the whole handle or I will have to make a fork type guard to slide on.

What about an S-guard on a blade this style. I think it will look ok but I'm having trouble picturing it finished.

Jeremy I think an S guard would look great. Furthermore I’d not change the profile of the blade. I like it, plus keeping it honors the man that started the work.

23 hours ago, Steve O said:

Jeremy I think an S guard would look great. Furthermore I’d not change the profile of the blade. I like it, plus keeping it honors the man that started the work.

I agree to not change the design. I have some 304 stainless on the way to make an s guard. But with doing this it is going to put the project back a little bit until I can do more.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I look forward to seeing it finished, it has an Indo-Persian meets Bowie flavor to it.

That trailing point with sharpened clip would be a nasty slasher even in reverse cuts.

• Like 1

316 stainless for the guard. Now I need to heal up a little more before I can forge it out and punch the slot.

Resized_20181107_142241.jpeg

That's a big hunk of 316.