Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Bowie Project

I got started building a new mosaic billet for my next project.  This one will be a variation of a  4-wayed "W" to go in a Henry Schively style Bowie.  Schively often used bone for his handles which I'm not a fan of.  I haven't decided on the handle material yet.  I don't have any ivory that will work here so I'll need to come up  with something else that checkers easily.  I'll have to go through my handle material stash.;)

IMG_1288_opt

IMG_1291_opt

I'll be watching..........................;)

• Thanks 1

Interesting well at least rebar is extremely cheap lol.  Handle material.  Maybe suggesting a dark cherry or even black oak would look nice.

Edited by AndyB

It was a beautiful day here today and the shop stayed very comfortable with a 2200 degree forge going all day.  Here's my progress for the day:

Hopefully the steel will be better  looking than the smith.:)

IMG_1345_opt

48 layers:

IMG_1308_opt

After the first W squeeze and a cut & stack a   48 x 3 "W":

IMG_1312

Welded:

IMG_1346_opt

Second cut & stack.  48 x 9 "W":

IMG_1332_opt

Squaring on the bias:

IMG_1351_opt

Drawn for a 4-way weld:

IMG_1354_opt

Initial pattern:

IMG_1380_opt

Once I have this ground & squared on two  sides I will do a 4-way weld.  I may not decide on how to orient the pattern until I see them stacked in a 4-way.  Once welded I will decide if this will  look better with a tile cut (Ferry Flip) or a butt weld on the bias inside of a can (canoe).

3 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Hopefully the steel will be better  looking than the smith.:)

Ya got me whupped on both  !!!!............................;)

• Thanks 1

I got a little more done today:

IMG_1396_opt

IMG_1399_opt

IMG_1431_opt

I think that I will cut this one into squares & triangles and butt weld them in a canoe.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

class is in session, the teacher is nailing it

• Thanks 1

I got the billet sliced and cut into the pieces needed.  I'll make a can (canoe) to fit tomorrow and hopefully get them welded.

IMG_1440_opt

• Like 1

Cant wait to see this one. Is there Any certain type of bowie you're going for?

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

2 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Is there Any certain type of bowie you're going for?

I'm thinking about a Henry Schively style Bowie.  I may not make it exactly the same as a Schively but something similar with a few touches of my own.

Skinner-Bowie-Knife-Photo_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

Awesome!!!

• Thanks 1

@Gary Mulkey I hope I can do 10% of what you do by the time my beard is grey all the way through.....currently the the grey is quicker than the learning.

Great work as always, thanks for sharing

Edited by Gerhard
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get around to  forging today but got the canoe made and the pieces tack welded together.  I had the penetration set  so low that I  had to use more tack welds than I  wanted to but that all  grinds off  anyway.  The white that you see is just regular White Out.  It's as good as anything that I've found for preventing the can from welding to the billet.  

IMG_1447_opt

• Like 1

Is the can just thin mild steel?

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Is the can just thin mild steel?

I made it from some thin wall square tubing.

• Thanks 1

It's a rainy day here today which isn't my favorite time for  forge welding as my success rate seems to go down on a rainy day but as this one was welded in a can it didn't  seem to  make  much difference.  I got the can welded this morning and  my first look at the pattern:

IMG_1451_opt

IMG_1466_opt

I may need to surface grind the entire billet and etch just to  make sure that no Mig welding bead remains anywhere.  Once I have that done I think  that I will forge it into a drop  point Bowie with no choil.  Forging a bevel w/o a choil is always a little  different but do-able.  To do a Henry Schivelystyle blade,  it won't have a full bevel which makes the forging much easier.

• Like 1

Went with a stubbed nose style huh?  I like the pattern.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Andy.  I'm after a spear point Bowie on this one.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

i think spear point is my favourite style after drop point. when forging your bevels with no choil, do you run the bevels all the way off the heel of the blade? or do you still leave a ricasso?

5 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

i think spear point is my favourite style after drop point. when forging your bevels with no choil, do you run the bevels all the way off the heel of the blade? or do you still leave a ricasso?

I've done both.  This  time I'm going to  leave a little unbeveled spine at the top similar to the previous photo of  the Schively knife.

Elk foreleg bone.   Tough and polishes up like ivory.

I have some somewhere in the shop, I will did out a few and take a look, maybe polish up one on the buffer.   They have been in the stash and curing for over 30 years so should be ready for handles.

I got my first good look at my spear point blade today.  As you can see I decided to give it a full bevel rather than a saber grind.  I think the pattern shows a  little better this way.

IMG_1486_opt

It will get a one sided grind on the false edge per Henry Schively.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1