Garry Keown

Something old and something new

Have some from my old patterns ready to go and some from new

The Safari knives seem to hold thier appeal so these two will be away in the morning. One with buffalo horn and the other with eucalyptus handles over brass bolsters

5EIWQdYl.jpg

The Light hunter is a pattern I carry myself on the hill so this one with acacia handle will get a similar use when it arrives at its new home.

6l1meBhl.jpg

For the new patterns 

I also did a couple of trial knives with one being a fillleting knife and as I hadn't done one so long and so narrow in the blade I have left it as a 400grit belt finish. It has a 6in x 1/8 12C27 stainless with olive canvas micarta handles

pFpikYcl.jpg

A filleting knife is used after a fishing trip so I though I would do a fishing knife as well so this one has a 4 1/4 in x 1/8 in 12C27 blade with natural canvas micarta handles. I will change the ahndle for the next one with the front of it more in line with the plunge line and will reposition the pins to follow the same pattern.

ArW6q0bl.jpg

And just to finish out the grinding session I tried a table knife or steak knife with a 5 inch x .075 12C27 which was all ground post heat treat which was another first for me

Red G10 liners under the black paper micarta handle with 3/32 stainless pins

fXqB4FLl.jpg

VVylFuFl.jpg

Nice stuff, Garry!  I particularly like the fishing knife and steak knife.

• Thanks 1

Looks great Garry! Those safari knives look top notch. Do I see a Hamon on that light hunter? 

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Looks great Garry! Those safari knives look top notch. Do I see a Hamon on that light hunter? 

Sadlly no. when I sharpen them in the Scary Sharp system I use masking tape to protect the blade from the clamping surfaces of the holding 'beak' so after the sharpening I remove the tape and give them a wipe with acetone to remove the tape residue so unfortunately that is what you are seeing, a less than exceptable clean up. It will be cleaned properly before the renaissance wax goes on before shipping.

This is the sharpening system although the newer export model has a narower clamping beak and the top rail is also shorter with pegs (a couple of inches apart) to direct the sliding bar of the stone holder toward the center so the anglle of attack is always the same.

https://www.scarysharp.co.nz/video.php

Edited by Garry Keown
add info

7 hours ago, Billy harex said:

Hi thanks very interested in the scarysharp

Giday Billy. The scary sharp system is one of the best assets in my shed as I can send a knife off knowing that the secondary is perfectly the same the length of the blade and the both sides.

Let me know if you would like more information and I can give you the owners contact details rather than a dealer as I know he now ships worldwide.

Love the table knife and those two safaris at the top Garry. I can see why the latter hold their appeal.

Edited by Charles du Preez
typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Love the table knife and those two safaris at the top Garry. I can see what the latter hold their appeal.

I also do them with either flat backed buffalo horn bolsters or like these two with the back of the bolster curved. One with zebrawood and the other with mapleKITH 2018 Safari Knife zebrawood and buff horn.jpgIMG_20180921_130743.jpg 

• Like 1